New CUNY-wide policy regarding sexual assault and domestic and dating violence for students. Click here to view it.
Women’s Center Department of Counseling
John Jay College of Criminal Justice
524 West 59th Street
New York, NY 10019
Phone: (212) 237-8184
Fax: (212) 484-1319
Find the Women’s Center on Facebook
|Questions or comments with respect to the information presented on this webpage should be directed to Jessica Greenfield, 646-557-4535 or email@example.com.|
The WC supports student success because it provides invaluable links between student centered research, peer networking, educational programming and clinical intervention. We provide education, outreach and activist opportunities on women’s issues and gender justice. We provide direct services (crisis intervention, short term and on-going individual counseling, groups and referral services), educational programs (workshops, conferences, trainings), and a safe space for women students and their allies. We collaborate with groups inside and outside John Jay College to promote the physical, mental, and sexual health of all students through activism and advocacy. We seek to advance knowledge of gender equity and women’s issues, and we work to increase the academic and professional opportunities available to students both on campus and in the city.
Guiding Principles and Core Values
The Women’s Center is guided by feminist ideals of social justice. The Center’s senior staff is comprised of licensed clinicians, so the Center is also guided by professional codes of ethics for psychologists and social workers. Our core values set the foundation for the atmosphere of the WC space and all WC activities:
- Diversity - we are committed to equality for all genders and value their diverse contributions to the Center;
- Activism – we strive to help students connect their academic learning and life experiences to empowering action;
- Advocacy – we monitor issues on campus to ensure that women’s concerns are addressed at all levels of the college, providing an equal opportunity for educational and professional development for students, faculty and staff;
- Student Centered – our programming, outreach, and workshops are developed with input from students based on their needs and those of their peers;
- Personal and Professional Development – our core values see these learning areas as inseparable, and we work to provide opportunities for the enrichment of both through counseling, workshops, internships, mentoring, and research;
- Celebration – we aim to create a safe and celebrative space for women to explore, learn, and reach their maximum potential, and where men are empowered to co-create gender equity;
- Community - we value our connection to the academic setting, and foster connections to faculty, on-campus student groups, Centers, and off-campus resources working toward gender equity.