Financial Aid for Undergraduate Students

Have questions about the Financial Aid programs at John Jay College?
Click here

Scholarship Opportunities To help you finance your education, John Jay offers many scholarship opportunities More...

Scholarship Opportunities

Contact Us

Bursar Office

524 West 59th Street
Room L70.00
New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212.237.8555
Fax: 212.484.1163

Office Hours:  

During Winter Intercession
(Dec. 22, 2014-Jan. 16 2015)
Bursar Office hours are:
Mon - Thu 9:00am-5:00pm
Friday 9:00am-3:00pm

Mon: 9:00AM - 5:45PM
Tue: 9:00AM - 5:45PM
Wed: 9:00AM - 5:45PM
Thu: 9:00AM - 5:45PM
Fri: 9:00AM - 2:45PM

If you feel you need help financing your education, you can apply for financial aid by filling out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online. The FAFSA is an application that collects the basic information needed to determine your eligibility for all of the financial aid programs sponsored by the federal government.

There are many options to choose from when considering both government-funded and private sources of financial assistance. The basic kinds of financial assistance are:

  • Grants - Federal and State - Grants do not have to be repaid
  • Loans - Loans need to be repaid. 
  • Scholarships - Scholarships are usually based on academic merit and do not need to be repaid.
  • Federal work study - This consists of part-time employment, either on or off campus, contracted through the Office of Student Financial Services.

Filing for FAFSA & TAP

Step 1 -- Familiarize yourself with the academic requirements for financial aid.

Step 2 -- Fill out the FAFSA online. Be sure to file the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1.  The federal title IV school code for John Jay College is 002693.

You will receive a federal Student Aid Report (SAR) four to six weeks after filing the FAFSA. Your SAR will indicate your expected family contribution for federal student aid programs as calculated by the federal processor. John Jay's financial aid office receives this information electronically when you file, so it is not necessary to send us your SAR. Financial aid awards will be mailed beginning in March.

If you are a New York State resident, you will initiate the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application process by completing the FAFSA. A separate application is required for TAP. This can be filed electronically while you are filing your FAFSA. Once you reach the "Confirmation page," click on "New York Residents Only" to file for TAP. If you miss this, a paper application will be sent to you automatically. Remember the TAP code is 1414.

For more information about financing your education, contact the John Jay financial aid office at 212.237.8151 (toll free) or visit Jay Express Service Center.