Financial Aid for Graduate Students

Have questions about the Financial Aid programs at John Jay College?
Click here

Scholarship Opportunities To help you finance your education, John Jay offers many scholarship opportunities More...

Scholarship Opportunities


If you feel you need help financing your education, you can apply for financial aid by filling out a FAFSA (Anchor-filing for FAFSA & TAP) (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online. The FAFSA is an application that collects the basic information needed to determine your eligibility for all of the financial aid programs sponsored by the federal government.

There are many options to choose from when considering both government-funded and private sources of financial assistance. The basic kinds of financial assistance are:

  • Grants - Federal & State - Grants do not have to be repaid. 
  • Loans - Loans do need to be repaid. 
  • Scholarships - These are usually based on academic merit and do not need to be paid back.  
  • Federal work study - This consists of part-time employment, either on or off campus, contracted through the office of Student Financial Services. 

Filing for FAFSA & TAP

Step 1 -- Familiarize yourself with the academic requirements for financial aid

Step 2 -- Fill out the FAFSA online. Be sure to file the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1. 

The Federal Title IV school code for John Jay College i
s 002693.

You will receive a federal Student Aid Report (SAR) two to four weeks after filing the FAFSA online or four to six weeks if you choose to mail the application. Your SAR will indicate your expected family contribution for federal student aid programs as calculated by the federal processor. John Jay's financial aid office receives this information electronically when you file, so it is not necessary to send us your SAR. Financial aid awards will be mailed beginning in March.

If you are a New York State resident, you will initiate the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application process by completing the FAFSA. A separate application is required for TAP. This can be filed electronically while you are filing your FAFSA. Once you reach the "Confirmation page," click on "New York Residents Only" to file for TAP. If you miss this, a paper application will be sent to you automatically.  

Remember the TAP codes:
Graduate Students is 5216
Undergraduate Students is 1414