Current College Initiatives:
- In 2011, JJC recycled more than 150 tons of paper, metals, plastic and cardboard.
- Currently, we recycle 75% of all waste.
- Continue to track recycling of computer hardware and other electronics, recycled as per NYS Law.
- Continue to run promotional campaigns.
- Continue the recycling of cell phones previously used by students, faculty or staff.
- All printer toners are recycled.
- Expansion Project will be equipped with special recycling compactor meeting NYDOS requirements.
- Increase recycling of paper by 5% per year- goal 95%.
- Increase recycling of glass, plastic and metal by 5% per year- goal 95%.
- Increase recycling of corrugated cardboard by 5% per year- goal 95%.
- John Jay recycles all old computers and electronic equipment with an outside contractor to ensure they do not and up in landfills and contaminate the environment.
- In summer 2010, it will be proposed that all toners purchased by the college be remanufactured.