Current College Initiatives:
- Water consumption is monitored every month.
- All shower heads and toilets are in compliance with the NYC plumbing code.
- All water fixtures are maintained in good repair.
- Shower heads will be switched for 1.5 gallons per minute, reducing consumption even further.
- Currently John Jay uses Con Edison steam to heat our buildings. This steam condenses into hot water which is further cooled by using domestic water. Future plans include redesigning the Steam Condensate system to redirect this water to another use such as the HVAC Cooling Towers or other use. This will save thousands of gallons of water per year.