Payroll Procedures and Forms
- You must monitor your earnings on the Record of Available Hours Form to ensure that you do not exceed the amount of your total FWS award.
- You must work to receive payment.
- Students and Supervisors must follow the FWS Payroll Calendar: Time Sheet Submission Schedule.
- You must establish a work schedule which begins and ends on the hour or half hour.
- The maximum hours a student can work while attending classes is 20 hours per week.
- You should keep in mind that the more hours you work during the week the faster you will deplete your allowable amount. Therefore, you are encouraged to work the recommended hours per week otherwise, funds will be exhausted.
- Students must take a minimum half-hour break after the 5th consecutive hour of work. (Example: Schedule is 9-3; sign in at 9 a.m.; sign out at 2 p.m. take a break for ½ hour, sign in at 2:30 p.m. then sign out for the day at 3 p.m.)
- Students are not allowed to work during classes; even if class is cancelled.
- Students are not allowed to work when the College is officially closed.
- Students need permission from the FWS Coordinator to work during Breaks (Summer, Winter/ January and Spring Break). A maximum of 35 hours can be worked during breaks; however students will be taxed despite exemption status.
- Rates vary based on job selection and academic standing.
You must notify your local unemployment office if you are participating in the FWS Program. The NYS Department of Labor considers it willful misrepresentation to collect unemployment benefits without revealing that you are receiving FWS funds.
When you have earned your full or partial FWS award, you cannot apply to the NYS Department of Labor for unemployment benefits on behalf of FWS.
- Supervisors are not encouraged to cross off or white out on a student’s time sheet.
- Supervisors are responsible for submitting time sheets by the due date to the FWS Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office.
- On-campus supervisors must sent time sheets via interoffice mail.
- Off-campus Supervisors may fax time sheets to the Financial Aid Office. However, it is mandatory to remit the White Copy, the official record, to the Financial Aid Office via Postal mail. Supervisors should keep the yellow copy for their record and give the student the pink copy.
- Students are not authorized to submit time sheets to the Financial Aid Office unless an arrangement is made between the Supervisor and the FWS Coordinator.
Students who choose the Direct Deposit option must bring the form to the Bursar’s Office, L.70.00 NB. Otherwise your check will be mailed to the address to that was included on the FALSE Form (every two weeks after the initial check) (see Time Sheet Submission Schedule). Should you change your address, complete the appropriate form at One-Stop and the FRS. Coordinator. If you are not paid, you should notify the FRS. Coordinator as soon as possible. The Bursar’s Office requires 30 days to lapse before a Stop Payment can be issued. Students that work for the Public Service Corps (PSC) must follow a separate time sheet schedule and direct deposit procedures determined by the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS).
Students who choose the option must bring the form to the Bursar’s Office, L.70.00 NB. Otherwise your check will be mailed to the address to that was included on the FALSE Form (every two weeks after the initial check) (see Time Sheet Submission Schedule). Should you change your address, complete the appropriate form at One-Stop and the FRS. Coordinator. If you are not paid, you should notify the FRS. Coordinator as soon as possible. The Bursar’s Office requires 30 days to lapse before a Stop Payment can be issued. Students that work for the Public Service Corps (PSC) must follow a separate time sheet schedule and direct deposit procedures determined by the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS).
Not interested in FWS
If you are not interested in the Federal Work Study (FWS) Program and have been awarded funds, you should contact the FWS Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office to the cancel your award. All cancellations must be in writing. Should you cancel, once the award is removed, it can not be restored.
No Longer Interested
You may voluntarily resign from your position at any time. However, it is recommended that you provide the department you are working for at least a two week notice. If you resign from your position, it does not prevent you from obtaining the same or another position at a later date. Once the supervisor is made aware of your resignation, they are required to submit any time sheets payable to you.
Termination by Supervisor
Your supervisor may terminate you at any time for unsatisfactory job performance and/or insubordination. Reasons can included but are not limited to:
- Repeated failure to arrive at work on time
- Frequently changing your schedule
- Failure to complete assigned tasks
- Lacking the initiative to carry out one’s responsibilities
- Display of poor interpersonal skills and/or expressing negative attitudes
- Disruption of the department (excessive socializing with friends)
- Distractions by over-usage of electronic devices (Blue-Tooth, Cellular phone/Blackberry, IPOD, PDA, etc) Internet shopping/surfing –(Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc)
Upon termination, your supervisor must contact the FWS Coordinator immediately. Once notified of the separation, the Coordinator will determine if you are eligible to work in another department your supervisor will be required to complete a FWS Warning / Termination Notice and a FWS Performance Evaluation.
Termination by Financial Aid Office
The Financial Aid Office may terminate or reduce your FWS award at any time if you no longer meet the FWS requirements. When this occurs, students must stop working immediately. Examples of situations when this can occur are:
- Failure to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards
- Change in enrollment status
- Additional aid was awarded (scholarships, grants) making you ineligible for the FWS program
- A request for a loan is made and there is no way to process the request without reducing another program allocation
- All necessary paperwork or identification has not been completed
- FWS Time Sheet Submission Schedule
- Academic Year 2013-2014 FWS Submission Schedule
- Direct Deposit
- Stop Payment Form (Contact Bursar's office in Room L.70.00 NB)
- Direct deposit for Public Service Corp. (PSC)
click here for frequently asked questions.