Dean of Students
BIT will meet at least once a month to fulfill the following objectives:
- Increase identification of students whose behaviors are distressed, disruptive, and/or threatening.
- Discuss situations brought to its attention by any member of the campus community seeking guidance on disruptive and/or problematic behaviors that might lead to aggression or self-harm.
- Centralize the process of collecting and assessing “red flags” raised by student behavior and documented by different sources within the College before there is a crisis.
- Develop a coordinated plan to help students in crisis, mitigate risk, facilitate early intervention and protect campus safety.
- Coordinate follow-up with the student to ensure that services, support and resources are deployed effectively.
- Recommend mandated psychological assessment and/or medical leave/withdrawal, when necessary, pursuant to CUNY’s Medical Withdrawal and Re-Entry Policy and Procedures.
- Balance FERPA, HIPAA and counselor privilege with university need-to-know and emergency communication needs.