Quick Guide for Reporting

Contact Us

Kenneth Holmes 
Dean of Students
Student Affairs

  • Report emergency or extreme situations immediately to the Public Safety Department at 212.237.8888 and/or 911 (as appropriate) if a student displays an imminent threat to self or others, serious disruptive or threatening behavior, damages property, or breaks the law.
  • Elevated and severe behavioral concerns such as suicidal thoughts or impulses, violent and aggressive impulses, depression, disruptive behavior, emotional/behavioral dysregulation, or clear indication of physical and sexual abuse should immediately be reported to the Dean of Students for referral to the Behavioral Intervention Team. Dean of Students, Student Affairs Office, 3121 North Hall, 212.237.8100 or email BIT@jjay.cuny.edu.
  • Mild to moderate mental and behavioral health concerns (e.g., signs of emotional difficulty, situational stressors, and changes in usual behavior) should be referred for consultation or intervention to the Counseling Department in room 3140 North Hall or call 212.237.8111 during normal business hours (9:00 AM – 5:00 PM M-F; 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM T-W).

To download a BIT Report Form, click here. Copies of this form are available at the Dean of Students’ Office as well.


Questions regarding behavior can be emailed to the BIT@jjay.cuny.edu. However, if an incident has occurred, faculty and staff should not simply email or voicemail their concerns but also complete a written BIT Report Form as soon as possible.

• The report will be reviewed by the Dean of Students or a designee.

• The faculty or staff member who submits the information will receive an acknowledgement from the Dean of Students confirming that appropriate responses have been or are being made.

• Faculty or staff submitting a report should not expect detailed information about the disposition of their submission because the issue may involve due process or confidentiality rights of the student.

• Before submitting the report, faculty and staff may consult with a member of BIT and/or the Dean of Students. However, writing a formal report to the Dean of Students may still be required following the consultation.

• Once the report is submitted, the Dean of Students or designee will determine what steps need to be followed. These could include: speaking with the student; gathering additional evidence or information by interviewing members of the John Jay Community; compiling additional documentation; reviewing evidence sources (e.g., Google, public information, Public Safety records, an academic record); making a referral to BIT or other entity.