APTS (Aid for Part-Time Study)
The Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) program provides grant assistance for eligible part-time students enrolled in approved undergraduate studies.
Eligibility for an APTS award is based on New York State net taxable income from the preceding calendar year.
- If students were eligible to be claimed as dependents by their parents, family New York State NET taxable income can be as much as $50,550 to qualify for an award. Family income includes student's AND parents' income.
- If students were not eligible to be claimed by their parents as tax dependents, their New York State NET taxable income (including spouse's income) can be as much as $34,250 to qualify for an award. Spouse's income must be included if they were married on or before December 31 of the previous calendar year.
- If students were not eligible to be claimed by their parents but were eligible to claim tax dependents other than self and/or spouse, New York State NET taxable income (including spouse's income) can be as much as $50,550 to qualify for an award. Spouse's income must be included if they were married on or before December 31 of the previous calendar year.
APTS awards at John Jay range from $20 to $45 per credit per semester based on the student’s dependency status and family income from the prior year. NOTE: Amounts per credit are subject to change
To be considered a part-time student for this program, you must be enrolled at a CUNY College for at least 6, but less than 12 hours per semester.
To be considered for APTS awards, students must:
- Enroll part-time as matriculated students in approved undergraduate degree programs or registered certificate programs at degree-granting institutions in New York State
- Meet the program income limits
- Be a New York State resident and either United States citizen or qualifying non-citizen
- Have a tuition charge of at least $100 per year
- Not have used up TAP eligibility and have a TAP segment on file
- Maintain good academic standing
- Not be in default on a student loan and not be in default on any repayment of State Awards
- Have achieved at least a cumulative "C" average or better after having received the
HOW DO I APPLY?
Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be sure you have included the John Jay school code (002693) in Section 6. Once your FAFSA has been processed, go to www.cuny.edu. Click on Portal Login, enter your Username and Password, click on Apply Online, click on CUNY Supplement and follow the prompts.