TAP (Tuition Assistance Program)
The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents attending in-state post-secondary institutions pay for tuition. Depending on the college’s tuition and the academic year in which the student began study, TAP awards can range from $250 to $2,500 per semester at John Jay College.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
To be eligible for tuition assistance, a student must:
- Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Be a legal resident of New York State
- Be a United States high school graduate, have a GED, or have passed a federally-approved exam demonstrating that the student can benefit from the education offered
- Must take classes required for the degree you are enrolled in. Use the Degree Works Program to find the required classes needed for your degree by going to www.cuny.edu click on Portal Log-in/Blackboards/eSIMS, click portal log in, enter username and password, click student advisement/degree works audit
- Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing
- Study full time (at least 12 credits per semester) at an approved post-secondary institution in New York State and have at least a cumulative "C" average after receipt of four semester payments
- Not be in default on a student loan and not be in default on any repayment of State awards
- Meet the income requirement
- Students are eligible for 6 semesters of TAP in a Associate Degree program, 8 semesters of TAP in a Baccalaureate degree program, or as a SEEK student get 10 semesters of TAP.
WHAT ARE THE AWARD AMOUNTS?
The amount of TAP you receive depends on your family income, the number of family members attending college full-time, the number of semesters you have received TAP so far, and the size of the annual appropriation for the program. Maximum TAP awards can be equal to but not greater than the full tuition of a college. State budgetary restrictions can further limit TAP awards to a portion of your tuition. The award amounts at John Jay College can vary from $250 to $2,300 per semester.
WHAT ARE THE INCOME LIMITS?
- Dependent, undergraduate students or students who are married or have tax dependents must claim less than an $80,000 NYS Net Taxable Income to be eligible for TAP.
- Single, independent undergraduate students with no dependents must claim less than a $10,000 NYS Net Taxable Income to be eligible for TAP.
- Single, independent graduate students with no dependents must claim less than a $5,666 NYS Net Taxable Income to be eligible for TAP.
- Dependent graduate students or independent graduate students who are married or have tax dependents must claim less than a $20,000 NYS Net Taxable Income to be eligible for TAP.
WHAT DETERMINES THE AMOUNT OF THE AWARD?
- Academic year in which first payment of TAP or any State award is received
- Type of post-secondary institution and the tuition charged
- Combined family New York Net Taxable Income
- Financial status (dependent or independent)
- Other family members enrolled in college
HOW DO I APPLY FOR TAP?
First, you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Be sure to put John Jay College school code #002693 on application.
At the end of the FAFSA, on the confirmation page, click on the link for New York State residents located below the federal confirmation #. This will bring you to the TAP website where you will be able to apply for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program.
Your FAFSA PIN # serves as your signature for the electronic TAP application. If you (or your parent) did not use a PIN to sign your electronic FAFSA, the FAFSA signature page satisfies the TAP signature requirement. You should apply for FAFSA Pin # at www.pin.ed.gov and use it to sign your FAFSA application.
If you do not complete the TAP application immediately after filing your FAFSA on the Web, you will be sent an email or postcard with a link to the online TAP Application after the FAFSA application is processed. You may go to www.tapweb.org/totw/ to apply for TAP online. This process will take 7 – 10 days for the TAP Application to be processed. TAP WILL NO LONGER MAIL PAPER APPLICATIONS.
You will be emailed a response once the TAP application has been processed. You may check your status online at www.hesc.ny.gov you will be able to view the status of your TAP application, manage your account and make any corrections, including changing your school code, if needed.
The TAP school code for John Jay College is: 1414.
The filing deadline for TAP is May 1 of the academic year for which you wish to receive aid.
NEW FEATURE FOR STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
As of the fall 1998 semester, students who are disabled, as defined by the 1990 Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), do not have to be in full time attendance to be eligible for Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) payments. If your disability warrants part-time attendance, you may take as few as three (3) credits per semester to be eligible for TAP.
Students, who are disabled, as defined by the ADA, must see a counselor in the Office of Accessibility Services located in L.66.01 NB, in order to establish eligibility for TAP under this provision.
Once TAP eligibility has been established, the Office of Accessibility Services must submit the approval form to the TAP Officer in the Financial Aid Office in Room 1280 North Hall.