VTA (Veterans Tuition Awards)
Veterans Tuition Awards (VTA) are awards for full-time study and part-time study for eligible veterans matriculated at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution or in an approved vocational training program in New York State.
NOTE: Students previously approved for this award must apply for payment each year. Those students who are attending an approved undergraduate or graduate program may apply for payment for the current academic year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov and then linking to the TAP on the Web application from FAFSA confirmation page by clicking on NY State residents link.
If you missed the TAP link on the FAFSA application, TAP will send you an email or postcard to tell you to apply at www.tapweb.org/totw/
The school code for John Jay College is: 1414 for undergraduate students, 5216 for graduate level students.
Students attending a vocational school only do not have to file the FAFSA or TAP on the Web application.
For more information on eligibility, duration and award amounts go to: http://www.hesc.ny.gov/ click on student, type in search box: Veterans Tuition Award, click link: Veterans Tuition Award
Eligible students must also:
- Establish eligibility by applying to HESC.
- Be New York State residents.
- Be US Citizens or eligible noncitizens.
- Take classes required for degree program student is enrolled in. Please review required classes for your degree by using Degree Works www.cuny.edu click on Portal Log-in/Blackboards/eSIMS, click portal login, type in username and password, click student advisement/degree audit.
- Be matriculated full or part- time at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution in New York State or in an approved vocational training program in New York State.
- Have applied for (TAP) Tuition Assistance Program for all undergraduate or graduate study at www.tapweb.org/totw/
- Have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a GED, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department
- Be in good academic standing
- Have at least a cumulative "C" average after receipt of two annual payments
- Be charged at least $200 tuition per year
- Not be in default on a student loan guaranteed by HESC or on any repayment of state awards
How to Establish Eligibility
Apply for FAFSA and TAP (instructions above)
Complete the New York State Veterans Tuition Award Supplement or contact HESC. Be sure to print the Web Supplement Confirmation, sign and return it along with the required documentation according to the instructions.
Questions regarding eligible service or how to document service should be directed to the HESC Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372.
To learn more about programs and benefits for veterans visit the Division of Veterans Affairs.