How to Apply
Director: Leila Rivera Reyes
Mon – Thu: 7:45 – 5:30 PM
Fridays: 7:45 – 2:00 PM
*when classes are in session
Fall 2011 – North Hall
Spring 2012 – New Building
- Initial application. Compete an application and return it to the Children's Center at John Jay with a copy of the child's birth certificate. *If you have already registered, also provide a copy of your class schedule. This should be done as far in advance as practical. Space is limited. If no space is available, you will be placed on a waiting list.
- Early registration.Children are enrolled in the Center by age once their parents have registered for John Jay classes which begins with the early eSIMS registration process. If you have already filed a child care application, inform the Center when you have an approved date for registration from the Registrar. Once you have registered, supply the Center with a copy of your College schedule.
- Is space available? If there is room in the Center for your child during your class schedule, you will be asked to pay a deposit to reserve your child's spot. (See "Entering the Program" below.)
- No space available? If there is NO space available for your chosen schedule, you have the option to change your College schedule to times when space is available, if any. If no other College schedule suits your needs, you may ask to be placed on the priority wait list in case space opens up before the start of the semester.
ENTERING THE PROGRAM
- Intake interview. Once you have confirmed space in the Center, you will schedule an interview with our office where you will learn more about the Center and we will learn more about you and your child. You will complete several required forms and will need to supply family financial documentation.
- Medical examination. Your child must be examined by a physician within 30 days of the start of school if younger than two-years-old and within 90 days if older than two years. Immunizations and tests required by New York City Department of Health must be completed. All information must be recorded on a required form which we will give you. Click here for the Medical Record Form.
- Adjustment period. Your child must visit school with you present for at least three adjustment periods of gradually increasing time spans. No child is completely enrolled until a satisfactory adjustment is made to school life.
- Contract. You arrange for payment of fees and sign a contract.
- Child care begins.
Note.These procedures will generally take place in the weeks just before each college semester begins. When space is available, children may be admitted in mid-semester if parents can arrange to complete all necessary procedures while attending school.