Graduate Student Internships
Center for Career & Professional Development
L72.00 New Building
524 West 59th Street
New York, NY 10019
Phone: (212) 237-8754
Fax: (212) 237-8440
Mon. 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Tues. 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Wed. 9:00AM - 7:00PM
Thurs. 9:00AM -5:00PM
Fri. 9:00 AM -5:00PM
Monday through Friday: 1:00PM - 5:00PM
John Jay Careers Online Student & Alumni Log-In
This information is for graduate students from the following programs:
- Criminal Justice
- Digital Forensics and CyberSecurity
- Forensic Mental Health Counseling
- Forensic Psychology
- Forensic Psychology and Law MA-JD
- Forensic Science
- International Crime and Justice
- Protection Management
Information on internships for public administration masters students can be found here.
All graduate students interested in an internship opportunity should contact the Graduate Career Advisor whether the experience is secured through the college or independently. Graduate career advisement is the official designee facilitating non-academic internships.
Graduate students participating in internship experiences have the option, where appropriate, to work for organizations for credit provided they have properly enrolled in the college internship 780/781 course(s) and/or secured an approved independent study with a faculty mentor arranged through the graduate career advisor and the Office of Graduate Studies.
Students will not be given credit for internship participation prior to registration of the academic term. Students seeking to link an internship opportunity with current employment must secure approval from their graduate program directors and report this information back to the Graduate Career Advisor.
Click here for a chart detailing all graduate-level internship courses, along with registration and requirement information.
Graduate Students interested in an internship:
- Should provide an electronic and paper copy of their resume to the Graduate Career Advisement office.
- Should have two letters of recommendation: one from college faculty member and the other from a professional referral.
- Must be in good academic standing.
Graduate students participating in or enrolled in a credit bearing internship must register for the Internship course in their specific program (780/781) prior to the start of the internship experience. Documents that must be signed and/or officially documented and verified by the career advisor should be brought to the office at least 10 days prior to any deadline date.
Organizations Recruiting John Jay Graduate Students For Internships:
John Jay graduate students find competitive Internship opportunities working with the following organizations. Internships are paid and non-paid, voluntary and credit bearing.
- American Red Cross
- AVON Products
- Bronx County Supreme Court
- Consulate of Monte Negro
- CUNY Graduate Center
- Department of Homeland Security
- New York City Department of Investigations (DOI)
- Forensic Psychiatric Court Clinic
- The Juvenile Justice Initiative, New York City Administration for Children's Services
- Kings County Forensic Unit
- Kings County Hospital
- Kings County District Attorney's Office
- Kirby Forensic Psychiatric Center
- Legal Aid Society
- Manhattan Borough President's Office
- Mayor's Office for Immigrant Affairs
- New York/New Jersey Port Authority
- NY Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, Forensic Biology Department
- NYC Council (Legislative Office, Finance, Policy Analysis,)
- New York City Police Department (NYPD)
- New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Bureau of Tuberculosis Control
- NYC Department of Probation, Kings County General Counsel Division
- NYS Attorney General's Office
- NYS Department of Probation
- NYS Human Rights Commission
- Public Broadcasting (PBS)
- United Nations
- UNHCR (United Nations High Commission for Refugees)
- US Department of State
- US EEOC
- US Justice Department
- US NCIS
- US Secret Service
- US Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics
- USDOJ Community Relations Service
- USDOJ, Office of Juvenile Justice Delinquency Prevention
- USDOJ, National Institute of Justice
- US Department of Transportation
- USDT Department of Maritime Administration
- US Postal Inspector
- US Probation
- US Whitehouse
- Vera Institute of Justice
- Waterfront Commission of New York Harbor