The History of the William E. Macaulay Honors College
Chancellor Matthew Goldstein launched the CUNY Honors College in 2001 to provide a globally competitive honors program for the most talented and academically gifted of New York's students. The Honors College was designed in collaboration with CUNY senior colleges and programs to provide exceptional advising, internships, research opportunities, substantial community service and global learning opportunities. The program is committed to provide the skills and experiences for each student to excel in college and beyond. The Macaulay Honors College across the University has grown from an inaugural class of 189 to a current student body of over 1200 students.
In October 2006, a generous gift from Linda and William Macaulay, a 1966 Honors graduate of City College, enabled the Honors College to purchase and extensively renovate a landmark building on 67th street, to serve as the home of the honors college. In honor of Mr. Macaulay's gift, the CUNY Honors College was renamed William E. Macaulay Honors College at the City University of New York.