Dr. Dara N. Byrne
Director of the William E. Macaulay Honors College at John Jay
Administrative Director of the Honors Programs at John Jay
William E. Macaulay Honors College Advisor
Macaulay’s Honors College students at John Jay are University Scholars who have been selected for their potential to achieve high academic standards at the College and to become future leaders. The following are the minimum academic requirements necessary for graduation. It is every student's responsibility to be familiar with all requirements and to be aware of policy changes.
- As a University Scholar, a student must achieve an overall GPA of 3.3 by the end of your freshman year and maintain a 3.5 GPA by the end of sophomore year and thereafter. If a student’s GPA falls below the required level, but it seems likely that the student can meet that standard, academic probation for one semester may be possible.
- If a student fails one of the four Honors Seminars, she will be dismissed from the Macaulay Honors College.
- In addition to the four Macaulay seminars, all students must successfully complete a minimum of four additional honors courses.
- Students must complete honors in the major whenever available, or a senior thesis, or a capstone project.
- Failure to meet the requirements and standards of the Honors College will result in dismissal and the termination of the University Scholar Scholarship and all associated privileges. Dismissal from the Macaulay Honors College does not necessarily mean dismissal from John Jay College.
Additional Academic Requirements
All Honors College students must fulfill the John Jay College General Education requirements as established in the John Jay College 2013 Undergraduate Bulletin. The bulletin can be accessed online here. The Macaulay academic advisor will assist students in degree planning and in the selection of courses.
Other University Scholar Requirements
- The submission of yearly FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and a New York State TAP (Tuition Assistance Program - for New York State residents only) application. Click here for FAFSA and TAP Step-By-Step Instructions.
- Engaging in at least ten hours of community service during each of the first three years in the Macaulay Honors College, for a minimum of thirty community service hours.
- Successfully completing an internship, undergraduate research project, or an accredited study abroad program.
- Attending Honors College Common Events over the course of all four years in the Macaulay Honors College.
For more information about our academic policies, please visit the Macaulay website.