Maintaining your F1-International Student status

Contact Us

Office of Admissions
524 West 59th Street
Room L.64.00
New York, NY 10019

For questions about
obtaining F-1 status, please contact:
Elaine Thompson, Designated School Official
524 West 59th Street
Room L.64 NB
New York, NY 10019

Applications, Forms & Information

Fall 2014/Spring 2015 I-20 Application

Changing to F-1 Student Status

F-1 Transfer Release Form

F-1 International Student Guide

Optional Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training

Undergraduate and graduate F-1 students are responsible for knowing the rules and regulations associated with their F-1 non-immigrant status. Please review the attached hand out for guidance on Maintaining Your F-1 Status.

Reduced Course Load

 F-1 international students are required by U.S. law to pursue a full course of study each fall and spring semester. A full course of study is defined as carrying 12 credits at the undergraduate level, or 9 credits at the graduate level. Under certain academic circumstances, you may qualify for a reduced course load (RCL) of 6 credits for both the undergraduate and the graduate level, or less for an illness or medical condition. For more information, please review the handout on Reduced Course Load.

Program Extension

US federal Immigration regulations require that you finish your program of study by the completion date on your SEVIS I-20. If you will not graduate by that date, you must contact the DSO and apply for a program extension at least 30 days before the SEVIS I-20 will expire. There is no fee to apply for a program extension, and no "waiting period" to hear from the USCIS once the necessary paperwork is submitted. The DSO will approve all program extension requests allowable by federal regulations, and notify SEVIS of your new completion date. Please review our Request for F-1 Program Extension form for more information.

Reinstatement of F-1 status

 As a student in F-1 status, you are expected to comply with immigration regulations. If you fail to comply with these regulations, you will be "out of status". When you are out of status, you are no longer eligible for on-campus employment, practical training, recertification of your I-20 for re-entry to the US, or any other benefits of F-1 status. If you are in danger of losing your F-1 status, please contact the DSO. Review our handout on Reinstatement of your F-1 status.

F-2 dependents

F-1 students looking to bring their spouse and/or their underage child must fill out the Spouse and Dependent Children Information application. Please contact the DSO for more information.