Parents & Families
Center for Career & Professional Development
L72.00 New Building
524 West 59th Street
New York, NY 10019
Phone: (212) 237-8754
Fax: (212) 237-8440
Mon. 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Tues. 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Wed. 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Thurs. 9:00AM -5:00PM
Fri. 9:00 AM -5:00PM
Monday through Friday: 1:00PM - 5:00PM
John Jay Careers Online Student & Alumni Log-In
Welcome Bloodhound Families!
The Center for Career and Professional Development’s mission is to assist your student as they traverse their career journey here at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. We work with your student as they explore various career options, test their interests through internships, and build a professional network that can enable them to secure a job after graduation and establish lifelong career success. We recommend that he/she visit us as early as their first year at the College to work on their career planning.
We acknowledge that you play an integral role in your student’s college experience and future. Your support is very important during your student’s career exploration and job search; therefore we are committed to keeping you informed about the services available for your student. In turn, we would love for you to encourage your student to take an active role in his/her career planning and utilize our careers services to get them ahead!
What Services Do We Offer?
- Individual Career Counseling and job search assistance appointments (45 minutes)
- Drop-in Counseling (15 minutes) held Monday-Friday from 1-5pm
- Graduate School Planning from the application process to GRE, GMAT, and MAT test preparation
- Workshop Series on various career development topics such as resume/cover letter writing, interview skills, dress for success, and networking skills
- Job and Internship Opportunities posted on John Jay Careers Online
- Career Panel Events featuring alumni and employers in various industries
- Employer Information Sessions
- Job and Internship Fairs held every semester to give students the opportunity to network with recruiters, employers, and graduate school programs
How Can You Help?
As a parent or family member of a John Jay College student, there are various ways you can assist your student and encourage them during their career development process.
- Engage in conversations about different career options and opportunities after college. Help your student identify their personal interests, skills and talents that they have to figure out what’s the best career they should pursue. Even if she/he goes through many career development phases, offer your support while they explore different options. Your student can explore by seeking out internship and volunteer opportunities.
- Find the right “parental involvement” balance. We encourage parents and family to talk frankly with their students about what kind of assistance they want for their career development. Allow your student to act and think independently in their career decision-making. You can help your child locate resources such newspapers, trade publications, and websites in his/her field of interest.
- Encourage extracurricular involvement on campus. Stress the importance and value of your student getting involved in student clubs/organizations. College life is not only about academics, but it’s also about being active outside of the classroom. Employers value skills such as communication and leaderships skills that your student can gain from extracurricular activities.
- Encourage you student to seek out the resources from the team in the Career Center! In addition to a website full of resources, we offer various career services that can fit your child’s needs. Remember to encourage your student visit us from 1-5pm Monday through Friday for a drop-in session, schedule an appointment with a career counselor or RSVP for our career workshops/events.
If you have any specific questions, we invite your student to contact us at 212.237.8754 or email@example.com for personalized advice!