Frequently Asked Questions:

If I am a parent or family member of a John Jay student, who can help me? The Office of Student Transition Programs is the best place for you to find help. You can reach the office by calling 646-557-4888 or stop in at L2.70.01NB.

What services are offered through Family Programs? The Office of Student Transition Programs is in the process of improving John Jay’s Parent and Family initiatives. Starting Fall semester of 2014, the Bloodhound Bulletin, a monthly newsletter for Parents and Families, will keep you updated on all important events, dates, and happenings on campus. We are also in the process of creating a Family Association and planning a Family Brunch for the spring semester.

Who can join and how can I join the Family Association? Any family member of a current or alumni John Jay student can join the Family Association.

What is the Family Association? The Family Association provides a community for families to become more involved in their student’s college experience and build relationships with other families. There will be opportunities to volunteer on campus, meet other families, mingle with faculty, staff, and administrators, as well as help implement initiatives on campus.

How does the office communicate with family members? The Office of Student Transition Programs and John Jay College will communicate via the Bloodhound Bulletin and email. Please take the time to fill out our family contact form so you can begin getting updates.

Is John Jay 100% wireless? Yes! All of the John Jay buildings have wireless access for all of our students.

Do I need to send in a final secondary transcript for my transfer student? Yes, a final transcript is required for admission to John Jay College. For all required documentation, please check out the admissions website

When does the term bill come out? There are many important dates that you do not want to miss! To find out important dates for payments of tuition and fees visit the Jay Stop here

How can my student activate their John Jay email account? The Department of Information Technology (DoIT) has made activating your John Jay email account very easy. Everything can be done via their website here!

Where can I get a replacement health and/or insurance forms? The Student Health Center located in room L.67.00NB provides a list of all required forms as as well as copies of the forms on their website and can be found here

If my student gets sick, where can they go? The Student Health Center located in room L.67.00NB. You can learn more about services here

Where can my student work out? The Department of Athletics provides five different areas and opportunities for students to work out and exercise. There is a Cardiovascular Fitness Center, a Pool, open recreational gymnasium hours, tennis courts, and racquetball courts. For hours, schedules, and contact information, you can find out more here  

Our family has experienced a recent loss or tragedy. What can I do to help my student cope? Students can experience difficulty socially and academically after experiencing impactful family changes. The Counseling Service Center can help you with coping techniques and ways in which you can support your student in this difficult time. For more information, please visit the Counseling Service Center Parent and Family website