History of John Jay
In the mid 1950s, civic leaders and the New York City Police Department became increasingly aware of the growing complexity of police work, not only in the internal administration and operation of the department, but also in the ongoing relations between police and the community. In response to these concerns, a Police Science Program was established in 1954 at the then Baruch School of Business and Public Administration of City College. This program emphasized a strong liberal arts curriculum as the basis of a sound police education.
Over the next decade, the program grew substantially attracting larger and larger numbers of students. By 1964, a special committee convened by the Board of Higher Education recommended the establishment of an independent degree granting school of police science. The College of Police Science of The City University of New York (CUNY) was thus established and in September 1965 it admitted its first class of students.
Within a year, it became clear that the name assigned to the College did not adequately represent the mission of the College. In recognition of its broad education objectives in the process of criminal justice, development of leadership and emphasis on professional achievement in public service, the college was renamed John Jay College of Criminal Justice, in honor of the first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
Today, a thriving, urban, multicultural institution and a senior college of CUNY, John Jay attracts motivated students of proven achievement who have the intellectual acuity, moral commitment, and professional competence to confront the challenges of crime, justice, and public safety in a free society. Their ability and drive, along with the superb, professional education for which John Jay is known, have established the College’s national and international reputation for excellence in criminal justice and public service education.