Military, ROTC, and Veteran Students

Military, ROTC, and Veteran Students

Many military, ROTC, and veteran students are able to use their benefits to help fund their study abroad experience.  If you are interested in using your VA benefits to assist in payment of a study abroad program, you must plan ahead. You will need to work closely with the OISP and JJC Military and Veteran Services to find the program that fits the requirements of the VA and your study abroad goals. In some instances the VA will only cover JJC tuition costs and not other study-abroad related fees. Your JJC Veteran Certifying Official and Military Point of Contact will be able to assist you in determining what, if any, the VA can cover. 

In general, three conditions must be met:

  • Students must be enrolled in courses that will apply to their degree program.
  • The courses at the "host" school in the foreign country must be approved.
  • VA cannot pay any fees specific to studying abroad unless the student is required to study abroad as part of their degree.



VA Benefits Fact Sheet on Study Abroad

Using Veteran's Benefits for Education Abroad (NAFSA resource)

JJC Military and Veteran Services