The mission of John Jay College's AAC is to help undergraduate students explore, define, and achieve their academic goals. Advising staff assist students in discovering both in-class and out-of-class educational opportunities to become self directed learners, decisions makers, and productive members of society.
- Adjust to university life.
- Clarify your academic and career goals in relation to your life expectations.
- Select appropriate courses.
- Interpret institutional policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Increase your awareness of educational opportunities.
- Find campus resources that will offer you helpful support.
- Assist you in understanding your Degree Audit.
- Read the John Jay College Undergraduate Bulletin and the Academic Advisement Center website before seeking academic advice.
- Review your Degree Audit (Degree Works) every semester to keep track of progress toward completing graduation requirements.
- Read your John Jay e-mail frequently.
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures.
- Come prepared to each appointment with questions or material for discussion.
- Follow up on recommendations from the academic advisor.
- Accept responsibility for your decisions.
- Be courteous and plan ahead (schedule appointments early and cancel or reschedule if necessary).