First-Year Student Early Evaluation

Contact Us

Student Academic
Success Programs
500 West 56th Street
Room 100W
New York, NY 10019
Main Office: 212.484.1130

About Us

Follow SASP

.. ..

If you are a first-year student taking an ENG 101 and/or Math 105 course, you will receive an early evaluation (EE) from your professor, no later than the sixth week of the semester. The purpose of the EE is to help you clearly understand how you are doing in the course. 

What is the First-Year Student Early Evaluation?
Check Your Early Evaluation Rating 
Evaluate your progress after receiving your Early Evaluation
Next Steps if you have received a rating of “NI” in any course

What is the First-Year Student Early Evaluation?

There are only two possible EE ratings: “S” if your work has been Satisfactory and “NI” if your work Needs Improvement. If you receive an “S” rating, you are meeting or exceeding the minimum standard for the course. If you receive an “NI” rating, you are not meeting the minimum requirements for the course. An “NI” rating may indicate excessive absences and/or lateness, and/or missing or incomplete work, and/or work that is well below satisfactory. If you continue along this path, you are likely to receive a low or failing semester grade in the course.

Please be aware that the Early Evaluation is not calculated into your grade for the course, is not recorded into your academic file, and is not used for your academic standing at John Jay College. As the name implies, Early Evaluation is merely a way for first-year students to understand how they are doing in the course early in the semester, so that they can make changes to work habits, study strategies and/or make use of campus support services in order to improve their approach to the course.

Check Your Early Evaluation Rating

Your ENG 101 or MAT 105 professor will post your EE on Blackboard no later than the Friday of the sixth week of the semester. Your EE will be sent to you via your Blackboard course email. If you did not receive the email, go to your course Blackboard site, click on the link for your course, and then find the link for the grading center. Your grade should be posted in there.

Evaluate your progress after receiving your Early Evaluation

If you received an EE rating of “S”, you are on the right track in the course, so keep up the good work. If you received a rating of “NI”, consider the reasons for this rating and develop an action plan to change how you are working in this course. It’s not too late! You may need to increase your level of effort, plan out your time more effectively, and/or develop better study strategies. There are also plenty of ways you can work with others to increase your chances of success at the end of the semester: forming study groups with classmates, using academic support services/tutoring, or working with other campus resources, such as counselors, advisors and mentors.

Next Steps if you have received a rating of “NI” in any course

1. Make an Appointment with your Professor.
If you are disappointed in your performance in one or more courses, meet with your professor during his or her office hours (usually listed on the syllabus) or make an appointment at a different time. Before meeting with your professor, evaluate your own performance in the class. Make a list of class days you did not attend. Review the syllabus and note any assignments or reading you may have missed or done poorly on.

In order to move forward successfully, you’ll need to acknowledge that you may have not been putting as much effort as needed in the course. You can, however, talk to your professor about the obstacles you may be facing that prevent you from doing your best. Write down these obstacles so you are able to present them clearly to your professor. Lastly, make a plan to move forward. Be able to tell the professor what you will be doing differently to improve your performance in the class, for example making up missed work, or changing your commuting method so you will be in class on time.

2. Make an Appointment at an Academic Support Centers on Campus.

These centers have trained tutors who can help you develop the skills you need to succeed in your course.

Mathematics/Science Resource Center (MSRC):
The MSRC offers small-group, appointment-based tutoring free of charge to current John Jay students. The MSRC is located in 1.94 NB; phone: 646.557.4635; email:

The Writing Center:
The Writing Center provides one-on-one tutoring and workshops in writing. The Writing Center is located in 1.68 NB; phone: 212.237.8569.

English as a Second Language Support
Services in the Writing Center: ESL specialists can help you with academic writing, academic reading, and class presentations. Contact Christopher Davis, Director of Academic Language Support Services ( for more information.

SEEK Students:
The SEEK Department offers SEEK students tutoring in math (Room 3119N) and the humanities including English 101 support (Room 3110N). Phone: 212.237.8883; email:

Tutoring Services for Students with Disabilities:
Students with documented disabilities are eligible for one-to-one tutoring services in English, Mathematics and other subject areas dependent on their needs. To learn more about these services, please call the Office of Accessibility Services, 212.237.8031.

3. Be aware of these Student Support Services and contact them if you would benefit from their services.

Peer Mentoring:
If you want to discuss ways to succeed in your first year with a peer mentor, find out who your peer mentor is in your First-Year Seminar (FYS) course and meet with him or her.

If you want to meet with a professional counselor to discuss challenges in your life that could be affecting your performance in courses, contact the Counseling Center. The Center is located at L.68.00 NB. Phone: 212.237.8111); website:

Financial Aid:
Sometimes money is in the way of your success in college. If you are having trouble paying for college, or if your job is getting in the way of your school work, contact Financial Aid and ask about work study and/or scholarship opportunities. First go to Jay Express (L.79.00 NB) for a referral to the Financial Aid office.

Student Life:
Sometimes students do not do well in school because they do not feel connected to the school, life on campus, and/or other students. It can be hard to be a first year student coming to a place that is all new all the time. The Office of Student Life helps students engage with activities and programs on campus. Through the office of student life you can meet other students who have the same hobbies or academic interests that you do. You can join clubs or attend events and discover all the school has to offer. The Office of Student Life is located at L2.71 NB. Website:

Academic Advising:
If you need advice on what courses to take next semester, or are considering withdrawing from a course, first visit Academic Advising (L.73 NB); phone: 646.557.4872 or
646.557.4816; website:

4. Re-evaluate your performance by October 31 (Fall Semester) or March 30 (Spring semester).
For any course that you received an early Evaluation ranking of NI, you should re-evaluate your course performance at the end of October. Discuss your current ranking (grade) with your professor and/or total all of your existing rankings (grades) to see where you now stand in the course. If you are still looking at a ranking below a C, you may want to consider the option of withdrawing from the course.

But before you do so, consider the following. Both ENG 101 and Math 105 are required courses, meaning if you withdraw from either of these courses, you are slowing down your progress toward your degree. Therefore, you should consider course withdrawal only after you have exhausted all the options above.

Here is the policy on Course Withdrawals. You can withdraw from a course before the tenth week of the semester without academic penalty. You will receive a ranking of “W” that will appear on your official transcript. Although an official withdrawal will not impact your GPA, it may affect your financial aid, loans, and dependent health insurance. Additionally, Ws on your transcript may be viewed unfavorably by graduate school or law school, so keep that in mind. In addition, withdrawing from a course can impact your progress in your major, your financial aid status, and/or athletics eligibility.