Change of Final Grade

For information about Graduate Admission, click here

Graduate Admissions

To apply to the master’s programs

For newly admitted students

Application Status Request


Questions or comments with respect to the information presented on this webpage should be directed to Office of Graduate Studies.


Application for a change of grade assigned by a member of the faculty may be made at any time within one year from the end of the semester in which the course was taken.  This request may be made by either the student or the instructor.  The procedures apply to the change of grades of A, A–, B+, B, B–, C+, C, C– and F.

Some details:
Application for change of final grade
Appeal for change of final grade

Application for Change of Final Grade
To appeal a final grade, a student should first meet with the faculty member to discuss the final grade.  If the instructor agrees that the grade should be changed, he or she can make the change on the appropriate forms provided by the Registrar’s Office.  These forms must then be countersigned by the Dean of Graduate Studies and returned to the Registrar’s Office for entry on the student’s record.

Appeal for Change of Final Grade
In the event that the faculty member reaffirms the final grade, students who question the grade should see their program director.  If this does not resolve matters, students have a right to appeal to the Dean of Graduate Studies, who will appoint a three-member subcommittee of the Committee on Graduate Studies to hear the appeal.  The faculty member will be notified of the appeal and will be requested to respond in writing to the Committee on Graduate Studies.  The appeal should include reasons for the request for change of grade and any supporting documentation.  It is the responsibility of the student to provide sufficient copies of the appeal, as requested, 14 days prior to the scheduled hearing date.  The student and faculty member have the right to make a brief presentation before the subcommittee.  The decision of the full subcommittee, if unanimous, is final and will be communicated in writing, by the Dean of Graduate Studies, to the student, the faculty member, the Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management and the subcommittee.  If the decision is not unanimous, either party may appeal to the Committee on Graduate Studies whose decision will be final.