ACCESS CONTROL GUIDELINES
In order for the access control system to operate efficiently, compliance and cooperation are essential. The following is a list of rules governing our access policy:
1. All members of the college community must possess a valid John Jay ID card. Members of the college community are defined as:
- John Jay Students - Individuals currently enrolled in classes at John Jay
- Staff - Non-teaching employees of the college
- Faculty - Professorial staff employed by the college
Those who possess a John Jay ID card that states "Not valid without current semester sticker" will require semester stickers. Stickers are available in the Public Safety Office. View the Identification Card policy here.
2. Access levels for members of the college community are as follows:
FROM 6:00AM TO MIDNIGHT SEVEN DAYS A WEEK
*Faculty members are authorized access beyond said time; however they must sign in the visitor logbook when the College is officially closed to be accounted for in the event of an emergency.
ANY MEMBER(S) OF THE COLLEGE COMMUNITY WHOSE STATUS CANNOT BE VERIFIED MUST PRODUCE VALID PHOTO IDENTIFICATION AND MUST BE SIGNED IN THE VISITOR LOGBOOK
3. Each person entering the College should use his/her card to enter through the appropriate access device (turnstile or gate). To ensure speed of entry and to avoid any backlog, each person should have his/her card ready to use before approaching the turnstile. Never punch a hole in the card. This could damage the chip, rendering the card inactive.
4. If an individual forgets or loses his/her card, to gain access to the building he/she must stop at the Public Safety desk. The officer will verify the individual's status and grant him or her access to the building. If the ID is lost, the person will be directed to the Public Safety Office, L2.61, to obtain a replacement ID card, which costs $10.00 (cash only). Our office hours are Mon-Thurs 9am-11pm, Fri 9am-9pm, and Sat and Sun 10am-6:30pm.
5. Delivery persons and messengers are not allowed access to the building for the purposes of making a delivery. They must wait at the Public Safety desk until the person receiving the delivery is notified.
6. MEDIA ACCESS - All media and news agency inquiries concerning the filming and photography of John Jay College should be referred to the Office of Communications. Thus the requestor should be provided with the following contact information:
- RAMA SUDHAKAR
a. TEL: 212-237-8628
b. E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DOREEN VINAS
- TEL: 212-237-8645
- E-MAIL : email@example.com
Media and news agencies are not to be permitted without the expressed permission of Public Safety office or the Office of Communications.
7. ADA REQUIREMENTS FOR SERVICE ANIMALS
If you bring a dog on campus, an authorized John Jay College employee may ask you two specific questions which is provided in the first FAQ listed below:
For more FAQs pertaining to service animals, please click this link.
8. In the event of any unique situation such as large outside groups, the department requiring access must contact the Department of Public Safety at extension 8524 in advance to arrange for access. Please e-mail the information about the group/event and an attendance list to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Rules will vary and will be determined by the situation. Every consideration will be given for cooperation providing it does not compromise the security of the campus.
9. Any person attempting to bypass the system by jumping the turnstiles, "piggybacking" through the devices or tampering with the ID cards will be subject to disciplinary action by the College administration. Outsiders may be prosecuted for trespassing.
VISITORS TO THE CAMPUS
Visitors to the College are granted access under the following circumstances:
- The individual must stop at the Public Safety desk and produce a valid photo identification.
- Declare the destination and purpose of visit.
- Be announced to the person being visited when appropriate.
- Visitors are granted access to the premises only after the expressed permission is given from the member of the College community being visited, or the legitimacy of the visit is otherwise verified.
- Please note that the Department of Public Safety is not responsible for parking/stamping parking stubs.
All members of the College community are encouraged to submit the names of expected guests to BOTH firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com ahead of the visit; this will expedite access to the campus.