Campus Safety/Security Advisory Committee
The personal safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors is of primary importance at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. The College regularly reviews security and safety procedures as well as emergency response plans with the goal of minimizing the risks and consequences of violence in our community.
New York State law and corresponding CUNY policy mandate every campus of the university to appoint and support the operations of a campus advisory committee on security. In accordance with these mandates, John Jay’s campus safety/security advisory committee (CSAC) acts as a forum for reviewing and improving campus security and safety policies and procedures.
CSAC consists of at least six members, representing staff, faculty and students and is chaired by the Director of Public Safety. The Faculty Senate and the Student Council nominate, from among their members, representatives to the Committee. The President of the College selects an equal number of individuals from each group to serve on CSAC, thereby constituting two thirds of CSAC’s membership. The President appoints the remaining one-third of CSAC membership from members of the College staff.
The committee, which meets regularly, considers policies and practices that address campus security, personal safety, crime prevention, sexual assault, and concerns, including complaints that members of our community raise about security and safety. The committee reviews crime statistics affecting the campus and focuses attention on improving practices affecting members of our community who are victims of criminal acts that take place on or near campus.
Each year, CSAC reports its findings about campus security and its recommendations for improving the safety and security of all members of our community to the College President.
If you wish to bring safety and/or security concerns to the attention of the committee, you may do so by contacting Public Safety at 212-237-8524. You do not need to identify yourself but if you do, your name will not be shared with the committee or anyone else.
CSAC committee 2016-17
- Director of Public Safety
- Michael Sachs (M) – Dean of Student and AVP Student Affairs
- Marjorie Singer (F) – AVP and Counsel
- Nadia Griffith (F) – Deputy Director, Accessibility Services
- Howart Francis (M) – Senior Advisor in the Academic Advisement Center
- John Leebens (M) – Student Life Coordinator
- Shavonne McKiever (F) – Associate Registrar
- Francis Sheehan (M) – Science
- Chuck Nemeth (M) – Security, Fire & Emergency Management
- Janice Dunham (F) – Library
- Michele Galietta (F) – Psychology
- Grace Theresa Agalo-os (F) – Student Council President
- Ashley Baxter, (F) Faculty Student Disciplinary Committee
- Brian Carvajal, (M) Junior Representative
- Cecil Robinson, (M) Senior Representative