The Department of Sociology

How is Criminology different from Criminal Justice?
Criminology is the study of crimes, criminals, crime victims, and theories explaining illegal and/or deviant behavior, the social reaction to crime, the effectiveness of anti-crime policies and the broader political terrain of social control. Therefore criminology involves research to discover what really happens in the streets, in police stations and courts, behind prison bars, in board rooms, and on battlefields. Its practitioners are likely to engage in the systematic evaluation of the effectiveness of criminal justice policies and proposals, as well as the discovery of the socio-cultural, economic and global roots of crime, rates of crime and meaning of crime, or the diverse ways of measuring criminal activity and its impact. Criminologists typically collect and analyze data sets that may be quantitative, for example statistical studies on the rise and fall of crime rates, and/or qualitative, for example ethnographic studies on street subcultures and drug use. Criminal Justice, on the other hand, explores local, state and federal criminal justice systems and its component institutions. In addition to looking at the roles of the police, prosecutors, defense attorneys, judges, and corrections, it examines what behaviors are forbidden and punishable by law; rules and procedures that govern actions by officials against suspects, defendants, and convicts; and the rights of crime victims.

How do I prepare to see the Criminology, International Criminal Justice, Dispute Resolution advisors?
Print out a copy of your transcript from eSIMS. Prepare a list of questions.

Who do I see for advising?

Criminology Majors should see:
Major Advisor, Mike Rowan, 646.781.5813, mrowan@jjay.cuny.edu3214N
Major Advisor, Crystal Jackson, 212.393.6410,, 3221N 
Major Coordinator, Lou Kontos, 212.237.8695, lkontos@jjay.cuny.edu3218N

International Criminal Justice Majors should contact: 
Major Coordinator, Klaus von Lampe, 212.237.8249,, 422 Haaren Hall

Minor in Criminology or Sociology should contact: 
Major Advisor, Mike Rowan, 646.781.5813, mrowan@jjay.cuny.edu3214N
Major Advisor, Crystal Jackson, 212.393.6410,, 3221N 
Major Coordinator, Lou Kontos, 212.237.8695, lkontos@jjay.cuny.edu3218N

Dispute Resolution Certificate Program:
Maria Volpe, 212.237.8693, mvolpe@jjay.cuny.edu3245N

How do I obtain an over-tally for a class that I need for graduation?
Generally speaking, you must obtain consent from the person who is teaching the class.

What jobs are available for someone with a BA in Criminology?
The criminology major offers students an interesting way to link academic work in college with potential careers in criminal justice, including police, probation, parole, corrections, courts, victims and juvenile service agencies and security in the private and public sectors. In addition to careers related to criminal justice, the criminology major, as a liberal arts major, is an excellent choice for individuals unsure about their career interests, who have interests outside criminal justice, or are thinking about graduate school or law school. Criminology majors are able to pursue the same range of careers in business or public service as students, who major in fields such as psychology, sociology or anthropology.

I would like to work for the federal government. How do I find out about job openings?
Be forewarned that many federal agencies hire only individuals who are considered “Outstanding Scholars,” someone with a GPA of 3.48 or higher. Many positions are for U.S. citizens only For a listing of current federal jobs, go to the United States Office of Personnel Management website.

How does a minor help me?
A minor provides undergraduates a second field of specialization. Minors are intended to encourage and officially acknowledge students’ attainment of knowledge in more than one academic field, with the goal of broadening their education.

How do I declare a minor?
Students must obtain a Declaration of a Minor form, have it signed by either the Department Chair or Deputy Chair and then submit the form to the Registrar’s Office.

Ric Curtis, Interim Chairperson
North Hall, Room 3263,
524 West 59th Street New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212.237.8962,