John Jay College’s McNair Scholars Program accepts 27 students each year to participate in its year long academic and summer research program.
- Genuine interest in pursuing a doctoral degree;
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency;
- 3.0 or better grade point average;
- Upper Sophomore or Junior rank (i.e., 60-75 credits* completed);
- Low-income background, first generation college student and/or a member of a group under represented in graduate education (especially African American, Hispanic, Native American and Pacific Islander).
*Note: Sophomores are eligible to apply if they are of je summer research Selection Process
The selection process for the McNair Scholars Program is competitive. A complete application includes the application form, a personal statement or approximately 250words, at least two letters of recommendation and an unofficial transcript. After receipt of a complete application, each applicant will be interviewed. All applicants will be notified of their admission status as soon as a decision is made.
For an application, click here.
For a recommendation form, click here. (Two recommendations are required.)
Applications can be printed from this website or picked up from Room 9.62.01. All applications are to be returned to:
The Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
Department of African American Studies
524 W. 59th Street, Room 9.62.01 NB
New York, NY 10019