1.How do I apply for Federal Work Study (FWS)?

To be considered, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and answer the appropriate box for FWS. FWS is awarded on a first-come, first served basis. The newest FAFSA is released every January; as soon as you and/or your parents file taxes, file the FAFSA. FWS awards may be given as early as March.

If you are selected for a process called Verification, you must complete the process. When you receive an award letter from the college, it will indicate if you have a FWS award. The award will also appear on your ESIMS account. In order to start working you must complete all forms, meet the eligibility requirements and be verified by a Processing Officer in the Financial Aid Office.

2. What are the eligibility requirements?

You must be matriculated and enrolled for at least 6 credits (or equated credits) with a confirmed registration. During the summer, continuing students do not have to be enrolled, but must be registered for the upcoming Fall semester. You must be a citizen of the United States, or an eligible non-citizen as per the program guidelines. You must be in good academic standing and be verified for eligibility by a Processing Officer.

3. How Do I find a job?
  1. Log on here and click "New Federal Work Study Student".
  2. Look in the FWS Job Bank by going on the web to: http://johnjay.jjay.cuny.edu/workstudy/jobview.aspx.
  3. Download all documents from the Checklist of Required Documents.
  4. Bring all items from the Checklist to a Processing Officer in the Financial Aid Office, 445 West 59th Street, Room 1280N.
  5. Schedule an interview with a supervisor.
  6. Complete a Contract for Work Study Placement (student and supervisor/alternate supervisor).
  7. Return the signed Contract to a Processing Officer to complete the hiring process.


4. What kinds of jobs are available? (For information about #3 and #4, see FWS Coordinator)

There are four types:

  1. On and Off campus,
  2. Public Service Corps (PSC) (City Agencies),
  3. Community Service positions and
  4. After-school positions at the Building Educated Leaders for Life (BELL) Program


5. How do I return to the job I had last academic year?
  1. Log on here and click “Continuing FWS Student”
  2. Download the Checklist of Required Work Study Forms.
  3. Bring all items from the Checklist with your identification to see a Processing Officer in the Financial Aid Office to verify eligibility.
  4. Speak to the Supervisor to ensure that the position is currently available. Return the signed Contract for Placement to a Processing Officer in the Financial Aid Office, Room 1280, North Hall. Note: If you worked in the fall and are returning for the Winter session or Spring semester, you will need to receive a Year to Date Balance Statement Form from the FWS Coordinator.


6. How many credits do I have to be registered for in order to work?

You need a minimum of two classes or 6 credits (or equated credits). As soon as you drop a class 1 one class, you must stop working.

7. What minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) must I have to work?

The required minimum GPA to continue to work is 2.0 for Undergraduates and 3.0 for Graduates.

8. When can I start to work?

As soon as you complete the eligibility process, a Processing Officer will give you a copy of your Contract for Placement indicating the maximum earnings, total and recommended hours and start date with official stamp. Students begin working on the first day of classes. If it is during the Winter session (or Spring Break), students generally start on a Monday unless the student is working in a Lab. Start days for Labs could be a Saturday. However, students must have permission to work during the break and should check with the FWS Coordinator for eligibility.

9. Can I work during the Summer?

Yes. You can work up to 35 hours per week, however you will not have enough funds to work during the Fall and Spring semesters.

10. What if I used my FWS award at another CUNY college during this current academic year?

If you exhausted the award at another CUNY college, you will not be allowed to work at John Jay College. If you have money left over (not used at the other CUNY college), you must verify with the FWS Coordinator if you are eligible to work at John Jay College.

11. If I worked, and have money left over, how do I find out much is remaining for the academic year (fall and spring)?

It is recommended that you kept track on the Record of Available Hours Form. You can confirm that your calculation is accurate by contacting the FWS Coordinator. You must obtain a Year to Date Balance Statement and provide a copy for your Supervisor before you start working in the fall or spring semester.

12. How do I keep track of my hours?

You may use the provided Record of Available Hours Form.

Note: The information that appears on ESIMS is your award for the semester; ESIMS does not indicate how much was spent or how much is remaining. The balance you will see on your pay-stub or in an email will not include the current week in which you are working. You can download all forms off the web site by logging into here and see “Forms” and select “Employment Forms” or “Payroll Forms”.

13. When does FWS end?

All students must stop working by the last day of classes in each semester. If you are graduating in the Fall semester, you must stop working by the last day of Fall classes and cannot continue to work during the Winter session or Spring semester. Therefore, graduating students will only be allowed to use one semester of their award.

14. What are the maximum hours I can work?

It is suggested that you work the recommended hours so that you have enough funds to work the full academic year. When classes are in session, you may work up to 20 hours per week. However, you will not have enough funds to work the remainder of the Academic Year. During breaks (Summer, Spring) and Winter Session (January) students can work up to a maximum of 35 hours.

15. How do I find out my total hours?

Use the formula: Award / Rate. (Example: $1200 / $9.00= 133, the total hours for the academic year)

16. How do I know what my recommended hours are?

Use the formula: Award / Rate / the number of weeks left to work in the academic year (add the weeks in the fall and spring semesters; do not include breaks or the winter session (see Time Sheet Submission Schedule)

Example: $1200 / $9.00 / 30 weeks (15 weeks in the fall semester; 15 weeks in the spring semester) = 4 hours

17. How do I get paid?

Your supervisor has to submit a time sheet by the due date (See the Time Sheet Submission Schedule).All Checks are mailed to the student by the date indicated on the Schedule unless you have submitted a Direct Deposit Form to the Bursar’s Office, L.70.00 NB Direct Deposit funds are made available based on the release of funds through your bank.

18. How can I work during the Winter Session and Spring Break?

Contact the FWS Coordinator to verify if you are eligible. In order to work winter (January) session, you must be registered for at least 6 credits (or equated credits) in the Spring semester and have a confirmed registration. Students, who work the recommended amount of hours, will need a Year to Date Balance Statement and will need to reduce the amount of recommended hours for the Spring semester. Students can work during Breaks for up to 35 hours.

Note: Students who work the recommended amount of hours are not entitled to work during the winter session, breaks or finals. If you decide to work during the winter break and not the spring semester, you will need to meet the eligibility requirement and you will need an approval by both your Supervisor and the FWS Coordinator.

19. What happens if I don’t use my award in the Fall semester?

As long as you meet the eligibility requirements, with permission from your supervisor and the FWS Coordinator, you can work during the Winter session (January), the Spring semester and/or Spring Break to make up the hours. However, you have to have a confirmed Spring registration. When working during the Winter session or the Spring Break, you are allowed to work a maximum of 35 hours. If you do not use any portion of your award by the end of the Academic Year, May, it will expire. Awards do not carry over into the next academic year.

20. How do I work in the Summer of the next academic year (after spring is over)?

You have to complete a new financial aid application, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), go through the process and be verified by a Processing Officer in the Financial Aid Office (see How do I apply for Federal Work Study (FWS) and What are the eligibility requirements).

21. How many jobs can I have?

You are only allowed one job.

22. What happens to my award if I cannot continue to attend school?

If you cannot attend school, you cannot work. If you are in attendance the following semester and meet the eligibility requirements, you may be allowed to continue to work. Otherwise, you will lose your award. Awards do not roll over into the next academic year.

23. If I am currently receiving unemployment, do I have to report FWS earnings to the Unemployment Office?

Yes. If you are receiving unemployment insurance benefits and wish to work in the FWS program, you must notify your local unemployment office that you are interest in working in the FWS program. The New York State Department of Labor considers it willful misrepresentation to collect unemployment benefits without revealing that you are also receiving FWS.

24. Are FWS Earnings Taxable?

Yes. FWS earnings are considered taxable by both federal and state governments. However, FWS earnings are not counted as income in determining eligibility for financial aid. Otherwise, you will need to complete Employment Forms and meet the requirements to apply for “Exempt” status.

25.What forms do I need to work?

You will need to complete the following forms AND bring Identification to a Placement Officer in the Financial Aid Office, 445 West 59th Street, Room 1280N (see question #27):

Employment Forms

  • I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
  • W4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
  • IT-2104, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate or IT-2104-E Certificate of Exemption from Withholding 

Placement Forms

  • Job Application
  • Agreement by Student Employee to Maintain Confidentiality and Privacy of Records Pertaining to Students, Faculty and Staff
  • Work Study Student Contract of Responsibilities
  • Contract for Work Study Placement


26. What Identification do I need?

Your validated John Jay College ID is mandatory. (Must have current semester sticker)
Submit one item from List A with your Validated John Jay College ID CardOR
Validated John Jay ID Card with 1 item from List B
AND You MUST SUBMIT 1 item from List C

List A
• US Passport
• Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)

List B
• Drivers License, State ID or Learners Permit Card (from US) w/ photo & demographic information
• John Jay College School ID with current validation sticker
• Voter’s Registration Card
• U.S. Military Draft Card
• School record, Report Car; clinic or hospital card (if you are under 18 years of age)

List C
• Social Security Card or Certificate of Birth Abroad (Form FS-545)
• Certificate of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350)
• Employment Authorization document issued by Department of Homeland Security

27. What if I am a Freshman?

Entering freshman cannot work until they have completed a semester and have satisfactory academic progress, 2.0 GPA. See the FWS Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office for additional requirements.

28. What is the hourly rate?

Rates can vary based on job selection or Academic Standing. However, the on campus rate is $7.50 for Undergraduate students and $9.00 for Graduate students.