The Honors Program at John Jay College brings together academically talented students who have the potential to become tomorrow’s leaders. Working closely with distinguished faculty and advisors in an on-going learning community, students explore the idea of the common good in a sequence of enriched, challenging and interdisciplinary courses. The program emphasizes critical thinking, creativity, and ethical decision-making with attention to global concerns, community responsibility and civic engagement. Students participate in hands-on leadership experiences and research projects that address enduring questions of human existence; contemporary questions of social justice, and perspectives from the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. Students in the Honors Program rank in the top 10% of their class at the college, and admission to the program is competitive.
Our applicants have a record of academic achievement, an interest in public service, and experience with leadership on or off-campus. First year students receive partial four-year scholarships, state of the art lap top computers and entrée to a variety of NYC cultural institutions and events. Sophomore and junior entrants to the program receive state of the art lap top computers and enjoy access to the same cultural experiences as entering freshmen.
THE HONORS ADVANTAGE
The Honors Program at John Jay College enriches the student experience and offers opportunities for:
- Research with faculty, including participation in community-based research projects
- Presentation of student research at national conferences
- Specialized academic advisement and faculty mentoring
- On-campus employment
- Leadership development
- Admission to selected New York premier arts and cultural events
- Extensive preparation for graduate school and the professions
- Recognition of excellence and accomplishment on transcript/diploma
- Potential for scholarships and other funding benefits
Click the following links to find out more about John Jay College's Honors Program and how you can apply: