How To Get a Job

How To Get a Job

What kinds of FWS jobs are there?

On-Campus Assignments

You can work in one of John Jay College’s Administrative Offices or Academic Departments. There are a variety of on-campus positions available (See the John Jay Job Bank for full current listings of available FWS jobs).

Hourly On-Campus rates: Undergraduate ($15.00/ hour) and Graduate ($16.00/ hour)

Students can work in diverse areas such as African American Studies, Career Development Services and Internships, Children’s Center, Center on Media, Crime and Justice, the Center for Criminal Justice Ethics, the COPE Program, Economics, Enrollment Management Services (Admissions, Financial Aid, Graduate Admissions, One-Stop, Testing, the Call Center and the Registrar’s Offices), Government, Graduate Studies, Professional Studies, the English Language Support Center, the Writing Center, Math and Science Resource Center, Instructional Technology Support Services (computer labs), Health Services, Public Management, Recreation /Fitness Center, Equipment Room, for Athletic Teams, Student Affairs and Student Activities to name a few. Use the scroll bar to view the job bank list.

Off-Campus Assignments

You can work for a non-profit or agency that has signed an agreement with the City University of New York to employ FWS students. Off-campus job opportunities are varied and numerous and may be located in any one of the 5 boroughs. Assignments range from serving as a counselor in a youth center to being an assistant in CUNY’s Central Office. The general salary range can range from $15.00 to $16.00 per hour. The off-campus employer shares the costs of paying the students they employ with the FWS Program.

Public Service Corps (PSC)

The Public Service Corps offers FWS students internships at one of more than 30 participating New York City agencies. As a PSC intern, you will need to be certified in the FWS Program. Shortly thereafter, you will be contacted to meet with a Placement Officer at the Department of Citywide Administrative Services or an interview. You will need to bring a résumé and a your social security card with you. At the completion of the process, bring a copy of the Intern Assignment Form to the Federal Work Study Coordinator. For more information about the job types, click here. If you are interested in PSC, please see the FWS Coordinator or contact via email at to schedule an appointment.

Community Service Positions

You are encouraged to consider community service opportunities as you search for an appropriate FWS assignment. Job assignments that fit the community service description involve health care, child care, literacy training, and other services designed to improve the quality of life for NYC residents, particularly to low income individuals. 

FWS Process and Instructions

See the FWS Intake Process Handout for detailed information. 

1. You must have a FWS award, (check your CUNYfirst account).*

*If you do not have a FWS award, click here to go to the Career Development Center and click on "John Jay Careers Online"to search for non-FWS jobs.

2. You must be registered for at least 6 credits (or equated credits), and be in good academic standing 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) for Undergraduate and 3.0 for Graduate.

3. Schedule an appointment to begin the intake process via AdvisorTrack . In the meantime, you can visit the John Jay Job Bank and write down all jobs of interest with contact information to prepare for your intake appointment.

4. Attend your FWS intake appointment. All required forms will be provided for you, but you may download and bring with you if you prefer (See Employment Forms). Remember to bring your required IDs with you to the appointment (See p 3 of the Form -I-9).

5. Complete the intake process, attend your appointment, etc. Upon successful completion, you will be given a start date and may begin working. 

The Student/Employer Acknowledgements Form (i.e. 'the contract') will indicate how many hours you can work per week, your total award, your total hours, and your start date. Your supervisor will also be notified. You will start based on the date on the contract as indicated by the Processing Officer. After you have been input into the system, you and your supervisor will receive the pink and yellow copies for your records.

Interview Tips
  • Dress in professional attire
  • Bring a current resume
  • Be punctual
  • Have a pen and pad and be prepared to take any notes
  • Be certain to record the interviewer's name and contact information
  • Know what times you are available to work, remember working the recommended hours allows you to work for the fall and spring semesters (Award / Rate / # of weeks left to work) (Example: $2000/ $15.00/ 30 (15 weeks in the fall and 15 weeks in the spring) = 4 .5hours)


Sample Interview Questions
  • Tell me about yourself? How would you describe yourself?
  • Tell me about your most recent work experience.
  • What would you say is your biggest strength? Weakness?
  • What qualities and skills do you have that will make you succeed in this position?
  • Why should I hire you? Why do you want this job?
Potential Skills or Requirements

Your supervisor may require you to know how to do the following examples:

  • Answer the phone
  • Properly write a memo or letter
  • Use office equipment


Click here to find a job.