The Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) is responsible for the protection of the rights and welfare of human subjects in research projects conducted at CUNY or by CUNY faculty, staff and students. The information provided here summarizes select CUNY policies and procedures as a reference for John Jay researchers; please refer to the CUNY website for full details and current information on CUNY’s HRPP.
All research involving human subjects must be reviewed by the CUNY HRPP or IRB prior to implementation. For more information, review the document “When is CUNY HRPP or IRB Review Required” under ‘Submitting to the IRB” on the CUNY HRPP website.
All submissions to the HRPP/IRB must be made through IDEATE using your CUNY Portal Log-In.
CUNY has provided a set of IDEATE user documents, available here. This section is password-protected; please email the John Jay HRPP Coordinator at email@example.com to request the log-in credentials.
The schedule of CUNY IRB meetings and submission deadlines is posted on the left menu here.
For assistance in determining whether an activity constitutes human subjects research requiring review by the HRPP / IRB, or to set up a consultation to discuss your project, email the John Jay HRPP Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Template informed consent documents are available in the Informed Consent section of the CUNY HRPP website. Please use these templates when creating consent document.
Additional documents providing tips on the informed consent process and suggested language to include are also available, including the following:
- Informed Consent Process and Documentation Tip Sheet
- Guidance: Informed Consent Document and Development
- Guidance: Suggested Language for Informed Consent Documents
You can also visit the CUNY HRPP Policies, Procedures and Guidelines for a complete list of all the policies, procedures and guidelines.
Human Subjects Protection Basic Course
All CUNY faculty members, postdoctoral scholars, graduate and undergraduate students involved in human subjects research as key personnel must complete the Basic Course in the protection of human subjects prior to Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval of their protocol. Certificate of completion of the basic course is valid for three years.
Human Subjects Research Refresher Course
Key personnel of human subjects’ research protocols must complete a refresher course every three years.
CITI Training in the Protection of Human Subjects
First time CITI users:
- Go to www.citiprogram.org
- Create an account / Register
- Select your Organization Affiliation – search for City University of New York (CUNY); Continue to Step 2
- Enter the requested Personal Information, then continue through the next few steps (for John Jay, a ‘banner’ number is not necessary)
- When you get to Step 7, select Take the Human Subjects Basic Course
- Then, select the group appropriate to your research activities.
New CUNY Affiliates:
- Go to www.citiprogram.org and log in.
- Go to “Click here to affiliate with another institution”
- Select your Organization Affiliation – search for City University of New York (CUNY)
- Follow the steps to select the appropriate course(s) and groups, and complete any additional modules required.
Additional information on training requirements is available on the CUNY Research Compliance – HRPP webpage.