Interested in this amazing career development opportunity? Check to see if you meet these eligibility requirements:
- By the Fall 17 semester, be a junior or senior enrolled as a full-time student at John Jay College.
- Interested in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement or Correction Studies.
- Be a US Citizen (or permanent resident who will become a citizen by the time they are called to become a Correction Officer).
- Live in the five boroughs or in any of the following counties: Orange, Rockland, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester and Putnam.
- Able to participate in cohort meetings, academic coursework, internships and paid rotation assignments for the duration of the program.
- Able to pass a background investigation:
- "You may be disqualified for any activities that indicate lack of good character, including but not limited to:"
- conviction of a felony;
- conviction of any offense, the nature of which indicates lack of good moral character or
- disposition towards violence or disorder;
- repeated convictions of an offense, where such convictions indicate a disrespect for the law;
- discharge from employment, where such discharge indicates poor behavior or inability to adjust to discipline;
- dishonorable discharge from the Armed Forces;
- conviction for petit larceny and
- conviction for domestic violence.