Upward Bound provides services to ensure that the cost of going to college does not hold back a student from applying to college. We work with students throughout New York City to provide them with the resources and tools to apply and get into college.
We provide key services such as:
- ACT and SAT waivers
- Metrocards in order to commute to program events
- Stipend based on student participation
- Year-round programming
Academic Year Programming (September - June)
- Tutoring on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4:00 to 6:00pm.
- Saturday SAT courses from 10am to 2pm.
- College Visits during Mid-winter Recess and/or Spring Break.
- Cultural excursions to events such as plays on Broadway and Museums.
- Social events such as Movie Night or Game Night to interact with other students.
Programming is held throughout the John Jay Campus throughout the academic year.
Summer Programming (June - August)
Our summer program runs very differently in comparison to our services offered during the academic year.
During the first part of the summer, students will commute to John Jay College of Criminal Justice and take classes on campus. The second part will be at a residential college, where students will live in dormitories with other Upward Bound participants. Past visits include New Paltz, Mt. Saint Vincent. This is to give students exposure to what it is like to attend a commuting school and live on a residential campus.