Meeting Your Milestones
As a transfer student, you have a unique college story. You've accomplished a lot and now want to accomplish even more. This is why you've chosen John Jay: A John Jay diploma is part of your Academic Journey toward a successful and meaningful career. We, the staff and peer mentors at the Office of Student Academic Success Programs, are excited to be part of your journey. With each milestone met along your journey, you are enriching the story you can tell employers, internships, or graduate schools.
Connect to the John Jay community
Build relationships with peers, faculty, and staff to develop a network. This network will help you reach your academic and career goals by letting you know about opportunities, giving you advice, and providing you with letters of recommendation.
Your next steps:
- Join a student club or organization, or start study group.
- Find at least one partner in each class to exchange notes and study.
- Reach out to your professors: they are there to support you in your academic journey.
Plan your academic and career path
Having a plan is crucial to staying on track. Confirm your choice of major and consider doing a minor as a way of distinguishing yourself. Strengthen the connections between your college experience and your academic goals by planning ahead, seeking doing research and being prepared.
Your next steps:
- Speak with a faculty advisor to orient yourself to your major.
- Update your resume with the help of a career counselor and then attend the Career and Internship Fair on Sept. 18 1-5 pm.
- Research opportunities for internships and volunteer positions in upcoming semesters; many opportunities require you to apply one or two semesters in advance.
Expand your view of what you can do while at John Jay
Enrich your academic experience and ensure your future success by utilizing campus resources from day one. Select and apply for a special opportunity program and let that internship, research, or leadership opportunity tell a powerful story about you.
- Take part in the Transfer Students' Speed Networking event on September 9, 2014.
- Use your John Jay email to be "in the know" about upcoming events and special opportunities.
- Visit the SASP Transfer page and events calendar regularly.