Admissions, VA Benefits and Finances

Admissions, VA Benefits and Finances

Information on Admissions, Academic and Personal Transition, and Finances

Guides for New John Jay Veteran Students

  • Living in NYC on a Post 9/11 GI Bill Budget (pdf)
  • Navigating NYC Housing (pdf)
  • Planning for Academic Success (pdf)
  • John Jay Veterans' Benefits Handbook (pdf)



John Jay College of Criminal Justice actively guides and assists veteran, military member (active, reserve, and National Guard) and military family member applicants in their admission. For questions and additional support regarding admissions, contact the Military and Veteran Services Manager at or the Admissions Office at

Undergraduate Admissions

Veterans seeking undergraduate admission apply to John Jay using the standard City University of New York (CUNY) online application click here

For our John Jay Undergraduate Veterans Admissions brochure which includes information on waving the undergraduate admissions application fee, click here

Graduate Admissions

Veterans seeking graduate admission apply directly to John Jay College by clicking here. To be waived from the graduate application fee, after submitting their applications, veteran and military members must provide copies of their DD-214 or military documentation in-person at John Jay Admissions or by email to

For more information on Graduate Admissions, see here.

Finances, Financial Aid

Costs of Attending John Jay College of Criminal Justice: Information and a tool are available to assist students and prospective students in determining the costs of attending John Jay College    

Refund Policy for Students Withdrawing from John Jay Classes (fall and spring terms):

  • 100% refund is given for withdrawals through the Day Prior to the first day of the academic term (Fall 2021: August 24, 2021)
  • 75% refund is given for withdrawals on the 1st-7th Calendar Days of Classes (Fall 2021: August 25-31, 2021)
  • 50% refund is given for withdrawals on the 8th-14th Calendar Days of Classes (Fall 2021: September 1-6, 2021)
  • 25% refund is given for withdrawals on the 15th-21st Calendar Day of Classes (Fall 2021: September 7-14, 2021)
  • No (0%) refund is given for withdrawals on the 22nd Calendar Day of Classes or later, Including when classes are 60% complete (Fall 2021: September 15, 2021 and after)

A full calendar of these and other financial policies for all programs and sessions is found at:

Financial Aid Liaison for Military and Veteran Students: Contact Ms. Chrissy Pacheco (; 212-237-8153), Associate Director Financial Aid/Certifying Official for veteran and military student financial aid information and assistance

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): All John Jay veteran and military students are strongly encouraged to file the FAFSA application to determine their eligibility for financial aid beyond military-related benefits. [Website]

Seat Deposit/Commitment Deposit

Newly accepted veteran and military undergraduate and graduate students will be granted a seat deposit waiver upon submission of their DD214 or other verification of military service to John Jay Admissions. For more information, first year students, click here. Transfer students, click here. Graduate students, click here.

In-state Tuition for Military-Related Students

1. veterans

Effective Spring 2015, individuals who are eligible for educational assistance under federal GI bills will be charged the in-state rate at the CUNY senior colleges and the in-city rate at the CUNY community colleges. This includes individuals who served in active military, naval or air service and members of the National Guard and reservists who meet the requirements for benefits under federal GI bills. A veteran who meets the above eligibility criteria is entitled to the in-state or in-city rate even if he or she is not actually receiving benefits under a federal GI bill.

In order to prove veteran status, a student must provide U.S. Department of Defense Form DD214 or a Certificate of Eligibility from the U.S. Department of Defense or the Veterans Administration.

2. Family Members of Certain Uniformed Service Members

In certain cases, spouses and dependents of veterans or other uniformed service members are also entitled to educational assistance under federal GI bills. Effective Spring 2015, spouses and dependents who are eligible for educational assistance under federal GI bills are also entitled to the in-state or in-city rate. Generally, these are the spouses or dependents of service members who died or were disabled by their service, or to whom the veteran has transferred his/her veteran’s educational benefits. Note that a student who was the spouse or dependent child of a service member at the time the educational assistance was transferred would be entitled to the resident rate, even if he/she is not currently a spouse or dependent child (for example in the case of a divorce.)

In order to prove status as a child or spouse of veteran, the child or spouse must provide a Certificate of Eligibility from the U.S. Department of Defense or the Veterans Administration.

3. Service Members and Family Members Stationed in New York

Members of the armed forces of the United States on a full-time active duty station in the State of New York, and their spouses and dependent children, who enroll at a CUNY college, shall be charged the in-state tuition rate. Such students shall continue to be charged the in-state rate at CUNY even if they are subsequently discharged from military service.


Information on VA, State, and College Benefits for Veteran and Military Students

Ms. Chrissy Pacheco, Veteran Certifying Official, offers guidance and support for veteran and military students on applying and using VA, military, and state benefits to fund their John Jay College education.  To be certified to use VA, military, or New York State educational benefits, submit the Certification Form found at the tab below EACH SEMESTER to Ms. Pacheco. Contact Ms. Pacheco at email:; or phone: (212) 237-8153. 

Department of Veteran Affairs Benefits

Information on the veteran educational benefit programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs is found at: Programs often used by John Jay veterans to finance their studies include: Post-9/11 GI BillVocational Rehabilitation & EmploymentMontgomery GI Bill, and Survivors and Dependent Assistance. Descriptions of the most commonly used VA educational benefit programs are found below. To apply online for these VA educational benefit programs (EXCEPT Vocational Rehabilitation, Chapter 31) see:​

Programs often used by John Jay veterans to finance their studies include: 

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33):

Offers higher education and training benefits to Veterans, Servicemembers, and their families who served after Sept. 10, 2001. The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) provides 36 months of education benefits.

ADDITIONAL Components of the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33): 
Transfer of EntitlementAllows for eligible servicemembers to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children; Fry ScholarshipAvailable for children and spouses of servicemembers who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001; Rogers STEM ScholarshipGives extra benefits to students training in the high demand fields of Science, Computer Science Technology, and MathVETTECH: Provides tuition and housing assistance for 9/11 GI-Bill recipients to receive specialized training in high-tech (IT) skills.

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606):

Monthly payments for Reservists with a six year obligation in the Selected Reserve including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard or Air National Guard. May include additional KICKER amount payments. 

Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35):

Benefits provide up to 36 months of education benefits and may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. Offered to: Dependents of Veterans who are 100% disabled due to a service-related condition, and/or dependents of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition (see for additional eligibility requirements).

Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Chapter 31):

Provides vocational and rehabilitative services to Veterans with disabilities (or dependents of a Veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-related disability). Chapter 31 assists with job training, employment accommodations, education benefits, and job seeking skills. Apply on ebenefits or using VA Form 28-1900.

New York State Veteran Educational Benefits

Information on New York State Veterans Tuition Awards and other benefit programs for military and certain family member students. Website. 

Priority Registration for Veteran and Military Students 

Veteran and military students are given PRIORITY (first group) registration appointments for each enrollment period. If you are NOT recieving an early registration appointment for each semester after your initial enrollment at John Jay, contact Ms. Chrissy Pacheco, Veteran Certifying Official,; 212-237-8153. 

John Jay Scholarships for Veteran and Military Students

T-Mobile has generously donated 6-annual scholarships for veteran and military graduate, undergraduate and STEM students. For information for undergraduate students and graduate students see:

MyCAA Financial Assistance for Military Spouse Students

John Jay  College participates in the MyCAA Scholarship program for active-duty military spouses.  MYCAA provides up to $4,000 in financial assistance for the career advancement of active-duty military spouses working towards a license, certification, or Associate’s degree in particular career fields. Qualification also is based within eligible pay grade quadrants (E1 through E-5, W1 through W-2, and O1 through O-2). Steps to get started include registration, establishing MyICP, creating an education plan, and requesting financial assistance.  For program information and to apply, go to:

Veteran Certifying Official, Chrissy Pacheco (, is the college liaison for John Jay students approved for MyCAA assistance.

Certification Form for VA and Other Military Benefit Programs 

  • VA Enrollment Certification Form (pdf)


All John Jay students seeking to use the Department of Veteran Affairs Post 9/11 GI Bill, Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31), Montgomery GI Bill or other educational benefit programs; military Tuition Assistance (TA) programs; and New York State military and veteran benefits program must submit the attached ONLINE certification form AFTER they register for classes. This form must be submitted EACH SEMESTER to request certification for benefits after a student registers for classes. Ms. Chrissy Pacheco, Certifying Official, can assist with educational benefits at or in her office in Financial Aid (6th floor, BMW Buildings).

For Non-Single Sign-On Forms: If students do NOT have a JJAY account: you may access the link here.


Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Programs

Eligible military students may use their service’s Tuition Assistance (TA) programs to fund classes at John Jay College within their program’s rules and regulations. Students intending to use Tuition Assistance at John Jay should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their military service prior to enrolling in TA-supported classes. 

    This program provides financial aid for service members to get college credit at almost any two-year, four-year, or correspondence school. Tuition Assistance (TA) provides slightly different benefits depending on the military branch. TA is not available if the service member is getting a degree equal or lower than their current degree (second bachelor’s degree), or for any degree higher than a Master’s. The program pays up to 100% of tuition and fees and up to the following amounts:

    • $250 per credit hour (for semesters)
    • $166 per credit hour (for quarters)
    • Up to $4500 in a fiscal year

    Please check the link regarding each military branch for more information.


    In addition to the information stated above, the Army TA will pay 100 percent of tuition costs up to the Department of Defense (DoD) semester hour cap of $250 per semester hour cap for up to 16 semester hours of TA-funded courses per fiscal year. Current Army policy limits TA to 130 semester hours of undergraduate credit or a baccalaureate degree, whichever comes first, and 39 semester hours of graduate credit or master's degree, whichever comes first. The 39-semester hour limit applies to all credits taken after completion of a baccalaureate degree.  Army TA is available to members of the Army Reserves and the Army National Guard.


    Apply for Army TA at Army Ignite ED:


    In addition to the information stated above, Navy TA is available to active duty Officers and Enlisted personnel. It is also available to enlisted Naval Reservists ordered to active duty 120 days and to Naval Reservist Officers ordered to active duty for 2 years or more. At the tuition cap limit the Navy will pay for up to 16-semester hours or 24-quarter hours in a fiscal year.


    Marine Corps

    In addition to the information stated above, Marine Corps TA is available for all active duty Marines. TA is also available to Reservists on continuous active duty, enlisted Reservists ordered to active duty 120 days, and to Reservist Officers ordered to active duty for two years or more. TA applicants must receive Command Approval to use TA.


    Coast Guard

    In addition to the above, the FY20 Coast Guard Tuition Assistance cap is $2250. Active duty members and reservists are eligible.


    Air Force

    In addition to the above, members of the Air Force Reserve also are eligible for Tuition Assistance.