Get Help Now

Get Help Now

For Safety Assistance

For Safety Assistance

If you witness or are involved in an emergency situation, you may:

  • Contact the College’s Public Safety Department at 212-237-8888 (or dial ext. 8888 if you are using an on-campus phone); 
  • Visit a John Jay public safety desk; or
  • Call 911.  If you call 911, please also notify Public Safety so that they may assist the police upon their arrival.


For non-emergencies, call Public Safety at 212-237-8524 or dial ext. 8524.

The Director of the Department of Public Safety is Diego Redondo,, (212) 237-8521.


For Confidential Counseling

For Confidential Counseling

To discuss a matter confidentially before deciding whether to engage in the formal complaint process:

Students may go to the Counseling Center, L68.NB, 212-237-8111 (the Center’s Director is Erin Thompson,, or the Women’s Center for Gender Justice, NB, L.67NB, 212-237-8184 (Jessica Greenfield is the Gender-Based Violence Prevention and Response Advocate,, 646-557-4535).

As a John Jay Employee, you can access supportive confidential resources, including private counseling from CUNY’s employee assistance program, CCA@YourService. To access the program, call the toll-free Helpline at 800-833-8707 or log on to the website, and use the company code: CUNY.


To File a Complaint

To File a Complaint

The Office of Compliance and Diversity provides assistance with sexual or gender-based harassment or misconduct and other forms of harassment and discrimination. To make a formal complaint of harassment or discrimination, you may wish to first contact Gabriela Leal, Interim Director of Compliance and Diversity and the Title IX Coordinator, Haaren Hall Room 622, at or 646-557-4674. Or you may fill out a formal sexual misconduct complaint or discrimination complaint form and submit to it to Ms. Leal. 

If you prefer, you may report incidents on the CUNY University-Wide Discrimination and Retaliation Reporting Portal, to the Public Safety Department (for all members of the College community), 212-237-8524, the Student Affairs Office (for students) at L.71NB or 212-237-8100, or Human Resources (for employees) at the BMW Building, 10th Floor (555 W. 57th St.) or 212-237-8517. These offices will communicate with the Office of Compliance and Diversity if the incidents involve sexual or gender-based harassment or other forms of harassment and discrimination


Supportive Measures / Options

Supportive Measures / Options

Individuals involved in sexual misconduct or any type of harassment or discrimination may request interim or supportive actions or measures to protect and assist them or the community at large while investigations or other responses are taking place.

No Contact Orders and Other Interim Actions
Interim or supportive actions may include no-contact orders, changes to class or work schedules, securing alternate housing, counseling or medical assistance, escort or transportation assistance, help seeking or enforcing an order of protection, filing a complaint with the police, and other measures. For a full explanation of these measures, see CUNY's Policy on Sexual Misconduct.

Informal Resolutions

Informal Resolutions

Individuals who believe they have been discriminated or retaliated against may choose to resolve their complaints informally rather than filing a formal complaint.  Informal resolution is a process whereby parties can participate in a search for fair and workable solutions.  The parties may agree upon a variety of resolutions, including but not limited to modification of work or class assignment, agreement that the parties stay away from each other, training for an individual or department, or an apology.  Informal resolution requires the consent of both parties. Informal resolution is not appropriate for cases involving sexual activity without consent. For more information, contact Gabriela Leal at or 646-557-4674 or see CUNY's Equal Opportunity and Non Discrimination Policy and CUNY's Policy on Sexual Misconduct or see F.A.Q.s for Informal Resolutions.