Welcome back to John Jay!
Congratulations on recommitting yourself to your studies to finish your degree! We are so happy you have returned and want you to know that we are committed to making your transition back to John Jay College and your remaining stay here as stress-free and fun as possible. We are here to help you navigate every step of your academic journey.
How do I apply for readmission?
Your application for readmission must be processed/approved before you can receive advisement services or register for classes. To apply for readmission online, click here. For more information about the readmission application process, click here!
I was readmitted. Now what?
You will receive an official communication from Jay Express once your readmission application has been processed/approved. You will be eligible for advisement only after your readmission application has been processed.
- While encouraged to do so, newly readmitted students in good standing are not required to meet with an advisor in order to register for classes.
- Students returning with 90 credits or more, who have attended another institution while away from John Jay and those who left John Jay before Fall 2013 are strongly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor.
- Readmitted students on academic probation are required to meet with an advisor before registering for classes. Approved students will receive an invitation for advisement along with their approval notification.
Readmission advisement for spring semesters begins late November. Readmission advisement for fall semesters begins late April.
How to Prepare for Advisement and Registration
Claim, reclaim, or log in to CUNY First
This system replaced eSIMS in 2014. You can use this system to register for classes, pay your tuition and more.
www.jjay.cuny.edu – click on “web apps” then “CUNYfirst.”
Activate, reactive, or log in to your John Jay email
The AAC will only communicate with you via John Jay email. It is very important for you to check this regularly.
www.jjay.cuny.edu – click on “web apps” then “Webmail/Email.”
This system will show your progress towards your degree, including completed and still needed classes.
www.cuny.edu – hover over “log in” then click “DegreeWorks.”
- If you have been away from John Jay College for only one semester, you may continue to follow the same requirements as you did when you attended previously for both general education and major.
- If you have been away from John Jay for more than one semester, you must follow the current requirements for both general education and major.
Learn more about General Education requirements
In Fall 2013, CUNY implemented the Pathways initiative across its undergraduate colleges. For the general education curriculum, John Jay’s faculty has developed exciting courses with a strong justice component that is at the heart of our College’s mission.
Learn more about your Major
Our major offerings have expanded significantly in recent years; peruse our new offerings!
Registration Guidelines for Newly Readmitted Students
In order to register for classes at John Jay, students need access to CUNYFirst & DegreeWorks. DegreeWorks is an online advisement tool which shows how your coursework meets degree requirements. CUNYFirst is our new registration system that replaced eSIMS in 2014. Please see the links below for detailed instructions on how to access and use these tools.
- Claiming Your CUNYFirst Account
- Accessing Your DegreeWorks
- Accessing Your Unofficial Transcript
- Steps to Enrollment
Please Note: If you have been to another college while you were away from John Jay, you must submit your official transcripts as soon as possible to email@example.com.