Veterans Tuition Awards

Veterans Tuition Awards (VTA) is an award for full-time study and part-time study for eligible veterans matriculated at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution or in an approved vocational training program in New York State. Students must be taking classes required for their degree/program of study.

Note: Students previously approved for this award must apply for payment each year. Those students who are attending an approved undergraduate or graduate program may apply for payment for the current academic year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at and then linking to the TAP on the Web application from FAFSA confirmation page by clicking on NY State residents' link.

If you missed the TAP link on the FAFSA application, TAP will send you an email or postcard to tell you to apply at

The school code for John Jay College is: 1414 for undergraduate students, 5216 for graduate level students (Veterans Students only).

Students attending a vocational school only do not have to file the FAFSA or TAP on the Web application.

For more information on eligibility, duration and award amounts go to: click on student, type in search box: Veterans Tuition Award, click link: Veterans Tuition Award

Eligibility Criteria:

Eligible students are those who are New York State residents discharged under honorable conditions from the U.S. Armed forces and who are:

  • Vietnam Veterans who served in Indochina between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975.
  • Persian Gulf Veterans who served in the Persian Gulf on or after August 2, 1990.
  • Afghanistan Veterans who served in Afghanistan during hostilities on or after September 11, 2001.
  • Veterans of the armed forces of the United States who served in hostilities that occurred after February 28, 1961 as evidenced by receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal or a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal.

These students must also:

  • Establish eligibility by applying to HESC.
  • Be New York State residents.
  • Be US Citizens or eligible noncitizens.
  • Be matriculated full or part-time at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution in New York State or in an approved vocational training program in New York State.
  • Must take classes required for the degree/program of study you are enrolled in. Use the Degree Works Program to find the required classes needed. by going to click on Portal Log-in,  enter username and password, click Degree Works – Online Advising System Audit  You can see the Still Needed Classes that have to be taken for your program of study at
  • Have applied for the Tuition Assistance Program for all undergraduate or graduate study.
  • Have graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) formally known as a GED, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department;
  • Meet good academic standing requirements
  • Be charged at least $200 tuition per year
  • Not be in default on a federal or State made student loan or on any repayment of state awards

How to Establish Eligibility

Apply for FAFSA and TAP (instructions above)

Complete the New York State Veterans Tuition Award Supplement or contact HESC. Be sure to print the Web Supplement Confirmation, sign and return it along with the required documentation according to the instructions. 

Questions regarding eligible service or how to document service should be directed to the HESC Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372.

To learn more about programs and benefits for veterans visit the NYS Division of Veterans Affairs or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.