Postdoctoral Fellowship, Roberto Kolter's Lab, Department of Microbiology, Harvard School of Medicine (2008-2010)
PhD, New York University - Vilcek Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences (2008, Biomedical Sciences)
MS, New York University - Vilcek Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences (2005, Microbiology)
BS, Universidad de Puerto Rico - Recinto Universitario de Mayagüez (2002, Industrial Microbiology)
Dr. Edgardo Sanabria-Valentín is the Associate Director of PRISM, and serves as an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Biology at the JJC Department of Sciences. He received a B.S. in industrial microbiology from Universidad de Puerto Rico-Mayagüez, a Ph.D. at New York University – Vilcek Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, and a Postdoctoral Fellowship at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Sanabria-Valentín was a founding member of the NYC Minority Graduate Student Network, and is a Leadership Alliance Doctoral Scholar and a Life Member of the Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS). He has extensive experience running and developing effective undergraduate research programs at New York University (through the Leadership Alliance) and at Harvard University (through their Microbial Sciences Initiative). Dr. Sanabria-Valentín leads PRISM’s programmatic efforts, in addition to serving as a Research Coordinator for the Department of Sciences and as the Health Careers Advisor Lead for John Jay College.
- Current courses
- BIO 212 - Microbiology Laboratory
- FOS 402 - Undergraduate Research Internship (Administrative Coordinator)
- Previous courses
- BIO 102/103 - Modern Biology Laboratory
- Association of Program Administrators of CSTEP and STEP, Inc (APACS). The Association of Program Administrators for CSTEP and STEP (APACS) was formed in 1997 by STEP and CSTEP professionals to support, advance, and meet the issues of promoting and advocating the philosophy of equity, access, and excellence in education throughout New York State.
- Member (2016 - present)
- Treasurer (2019 - present)
- Chair, Finance Committee (2017 - present)
- Chair, Ad hoc 501 (c) 3 Committee (2020 - present)
Society for the Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS). There is a future where STEM reflects the demographics of our country, so the field is better equipped to solve our world's most pressing problems. Through our people, programs, and partnerships, SACNAS has taken a radical approach to lead with culture and identity as the means to achieve true diversity in STEM.
- Life Member (2016 - present)
- Member, Membership Committee (2018 - present)
The Leadership Alliance. The Leadership Alliance, founded in 1992 as a partnership of 23 institutions, came together to develop underrepresented students into outstanding leaders and role models in academia, business, and the public sector. Today, this consortium has grown to more than 30 partners and has provided research, mentoring, and networking experiences to over 4,000 scholars. The Leadership Alliance uses a time-tested model to leverage its collective resources to address the shortage of individuals from historically underrepresented groups in doctoral training programs, academia, and the broader research workforce.
- Doctoral Scholar (2008 - present)
- National Symposium Advisory Committee (2018 - present)
- Inhibition of Cell Differentiation in Bacillus subtilis by Pseudomonas protegens. Journal of Bacteriology, ASM · Jul 1, 2015
- Biofilm inhibitors that target amyloid proteins. Chemistry and Biology · Jan 24, 2013
- Genotypic and phenotypic variation of Lewis antigen expression in geographically diverse Helicobacter pylori isolates. Helicobacter · Jan 1, 2011
- Role of futC slipped strand mispairing in Helicobacter pylori Lewisy phase variation. Microbes and Infection · Nov 1, 2007
- Host Lewis phenotype-dependent Helicobacter pylori Lewis antigen expression in rhesus monkeys. FASEB Journal · Jul 1, 2006
- BRAVO! Employee Award (2020). The BRAVO! Virtual Employee Recognition Program is designed to recognize and reward individuals and groups (TEAM BRAVO) for excellence in service and contributions to the College.
- APACS Presidential Award (2018). The APACS President's Award is presented to a CSTEP/STEP Administrator who conducts effective, impactful, and successful CSTEP and or STEP programs.
- USDA E. Kika De La Garza Fellowship (2017). This fellowship brings selected scientists, teachers, and administrators of Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSIs) to the USDA to immerse them in the education policymaking in the US Federal government.
- ESCMID Young Scientist Award (2007). Issued by 14th International Workshop on Campylobacter, Helicobacter and Related Organisms.
- Frank G. Brooks Award for Excellence in Student Research (2000). Issued by βββ National Biology Honors Society, Caribbean Division